What kind/how many batteries for diy light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I have already built a canister light with the 12v 7 amp SLA battery. I works great but it's a little bulky for my taste. I was wanting to make a smaller canister light out of 2" or 3" PVC but I don't know what kind of batteries to use and how many. Any help would be appreciated.

pcscuba once bubbled...
I have already built a canister light with the 12v 7 amp SLA battery. I works great but it's a little bulky for my taste. I was wanting to make a smaller canister light out of 2" or 3" PVC but I don't know what kind of batteries to use and how many. Any help would be appreciated.
I made a 3" PVC canister and used 20 C Cell batteries (And 1 C Cell as a place holder) 3 Rows of 7 Batteries each.

2 Series of 10 batteries.

With NiMH you will get 12 V ~4.4 amh (Depending on brand) in a canister that is < 12" in height.

did you solder them in series or what? I have the divelight companion but it is kind of vague when it comes to this.

pcscuba once bubbled...
did you solder them in series or what? I have the divelight companion but it is kind of vague when it comes to this.
Yes, 2 series of 10 batteries which are then run Parallel. Each series gives you 12V 2.2amh

So the top 7 Batteries are in a series with 3 batteries in row 2 and same with the bottom.

Clear as Mud?

actually, the new NIMH AA size batteries are now available in a 2100MAH capacity, so you could build almost that same canister in a piece of 1.5" tubing :wink:

How well do the AA cells stand up to a heavy load?

Generally the smaller cells (primarily NiCd) are more prone to damage or early failure if you pull too hard on 'em... but I'm not sure about the newer NiMH.

If they can stand up to the draw, the AA package would make a pretty nice solution.

I put 2 x 6volt sealed lead acid batteries in series. 10/12 AHr capacity

why? 50 watt Mr16 lamp draws about 4.5 ampheres, I wanted 2 hours run time.

why sealed lead acid
1) doesn't discharge between charges like nicad or NiMH
2) easy to charge with 2 amp charger
3) low cost $30 US ($50 CAN) for two

Here's a pic of my battery pack out of cannister

Mike D

for what it is worth you can try using battery units for u/w video camera lights. just bought some for my sony enclosure for 8.50 ea. 6v 4amp they are about 4 " dia and 2.5" tall with a hole dowdn the middle so you can anchor it in the case. they should be designed for longer life than c or d cells. i think the pricing is wrong and the 8.40 should be 84.00 for each battery i got 8 coming for 82.00 with shipping. if you want you can pm me and i will get the supplier info for you.

regards

Back
Top Bottom