What kind of battery charger for Sealed lead acid battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a powersonic 12volt 7 amp battery in my canister light. Can these batteries be charged by a standard battery charger or do you need a special charger?

When my old Schumacher (sp?) charger that came with my AUL cannister died.

I ended up with a "BatteryMINDer." I was able to buy one locally for about what I found them for on the web.

See: http://www.vdcelectronics.com/

Nice thing about the BatteryMINDer is that it comes with the "trailer connector" that'll plug right into the AUL battery packs just like the Schumacher, but instead of being an add-on, the plug is the "deafult" method of connection. For "Bananna plug" EE lights, you'll have to come up with an adapter or just use the battery clips that come included.

Roak

charging rate is a fuction of charging voltage and battery resistance.

At low charge rates the hydrgen gas that's produced will recombine readily, however as the voltage of the battery comes up the resistance to charge increases and overheating and venting can occur. ( this is bad, it's vent Hydrogen gas!)

I charge my 10 Amp hour 12 V batteries over night with an inexpensive 12 volt 1 amp trickle charger. Charging current is about 1.0 - 1.2 Amps when the battery is low, and this drops to about 0.3 amps when the battery is full. This current warms the battery to touch but it doesn't over heat or vent.

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom