What kind of hood with FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello АлександрД: Maybe you could help me. I want to order the Viking hood but I am confused with the sizes as the distributor is telling me they run small and go up to the next size. I need a 57cm (well just under by a couple of mm) head circumbereance which is a Medium according to Ansell table (Medium being 57/58 cm) but the distributor had someone at the warehouse try it on and suggested I best order an Large (59/60 cm). But a FFM hood needs to be snug or air will leak into it. Can you advice please as to the fit of this hood? Also is it vented or not? Thank you in advance.
as I gave you link above (VIKING™ Nautic Neoprene Hood) - it is "Permanently attached hood", so it is another sealing, like neck sealing, hence it has NOT any venting holes to release air outside.
From the inner space of dry suit it can (or not) be vented, depends of prescence of neck seal.

I have helmet size L (but it is old enough. was cut from my friend`s dry suit)
1704577124145.png

can measure it for you, but what dimentions?
Can you upload here size chart and measure scheme?

1704576909449.png

e.g. this size.
without hood this my size is 58cm

BTW - Ansell has VIKING™ Semi Dry Hood - separated hood!

as I gave you link above (VIKING™ Nautic Neoprene Hood) - it is "Permanently attached hood", so it is another sealing, like neck sealing, hence it has NOT any venting holes to release air outside.
From the inner space of dry suit it can (or not) be vented, depends of prescence of neck seal.

I have helmet size L (but it is old enough. was cut from my friend`s dry suit)
View attachment 819431

can measure it for you, but what dimentions?
Can you upload here size chart and measure scheme?

View attachment 819430
e.g. this size.
without hood this my size is 58cm

BTW - Ansell has VIKING™ Semi Dry Hood - separated hood!
Hello, Thank you for your answer. I was actually planning to order the Semi Dry Hood but couldn't find any informationon that one. Yours is the only mention of a Viking hood. I’ll upload the Viking leaflet with sizing. Both hoods have the same sizing. I need a 57cm which seems like a medium (medium is specified as 57/58cm). Large is specified as 59/60cm. You have a L which suggests a larger size than one specified by Viking. Which leads me to believe the distributor may be right I should get a larger hood that one specified by Viking.

How does your hood fit? It is snug or lose? I suspected that the hood that is attached to the suit wouldn’t be vented but I can find no information about the semi-dry hood.

I just measured my head circumference with a tape measure, making it tight, to get 56.7cm so I. not sure Medium or Large? Depend on the fit. Hood should be snug but not cut off blud circulation.

Attachments

• PDS_VIKING_Hoods_2011_LR.pdf
    481.8 KB · Views: 34
In dry conditions my hood is tight a little for me.
But this hood is over 15 years old, and possible little shrinked.
I use it like wet hood, I fix it under additional neoprene collar and it became as semi-dry :)
Cannot recommend you any sizes, but my suggestion is distributor was right about L size for you.
Also, if you planning use it only with FFM - it could be fixed enough around the face.
With Semi Dry Hood you also could tighten it enough around the neck, to prevent water circulation.

In dry conditions my hood is tight a little for me.
But this hood is over 15 years old, and possible little shrinked.
I use it like wet hood, I fix it under additional neoprene collar and it became as semi-dry :)
Cannot recommend you any sizes, but my suggestion is distributor was right about L size for you.
Also, if you planning use it only with FFM - it could be fixed enough around the face.
With Semi Dry Hood you also could tighten it enough around the neck, to prevent water circulation.
Thank you!! I think I agree about the size. Yes it's to be used with a FFM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom