What kind of oil in the computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shogan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Lesson learned. I was cleaning my uwatec aladin sport plus computer and was doing so a little to aggresively and the membrane on the back holding the oil in came off. At least that's how it happened in my mind. At first I thought it was water. And then wait I realized what it was.

SOOOOO I'm not sending this in to then spend $100 at Scubapro. What kind of oil is it? And any tricks learned on getting it back in along with all the air out?

If it's filled with compass oil or similar, you could fully immerse the entire unit in the oil (in a plastic bag) with the fill port held highest and then squeeze the unit to push out the air and then release to draw in oil. Repeat until no more air is in the unit.

Compass oil:

Ritchie - Compass Oil, Low Viscosity

Some references say that mineral spirits will work fine as a compass oil.

Dave C

Clear mineral oil from the pharmacy will work just fine. Immerse the computer in the oil with all its parts. When you screw the back on, you will get a depth error. Loosening or tightening the screws will change the depth. Adjust the tightness of the screws until it reads zero. While you have the back off, you might as well change the battery.

Theres no screws it's just a diaphram type back. That loosely sits on back so that any dumbarse cleaning it looks at it and thinks oh lets clean this up. Made to be inside a console.

But hey good information thanks.

Compass oil or mineral oil and the part about submersing and then putting on thats good idea there.

Guess I could be in trouble if the depth guage is now off. I will have to check it against my analog depth guage.

Not a bad idea about the battery. Looks like a freaking AA but I"m sure it's not just a AA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom