What kind of spearfishing torch do you like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A dive light is the essential part in spearfishing gears, which helps you hit top speeds in the water and enjoy the exciting fish hunting experience. So what’s your favorite dive light (type/brand/model) for spearfishing?

From the dive light’s size, brightness, beam angle, switch, lighting colors... what are the features of a good spearfishing torch upon your experience and preference? Beside, where do you make spearfishing? Will you use different dive lights at differnt spearfishing locations?

Your sharing is much appreciated!

Hi Xtar,

I'm currently using the Volador DF30 but have also used Orcatorch and Kinetics. For spearfishing, I usually look for the following specs:

-Size: Small, without sacrificing too much brightness. You need it to be small because you're also carrying a speargun.
-Brightness: Lumens isn't actually accurate from flashlight companies but for reference, a 1000 lumens from Orcatorch is about right. The DF30 claims to be 3000 lumens and I'm pretty happy with it. A bit heavy though.
-Beam Angle: Usually, a more focused beam would be better because you just want to point at a hole and see what's inside. The tighter the beam the brighter the spot you want to look at.
-Swtich: So far, I prefer the rotational switch of DF30 because you can directly go to the brightness that you want. With the click switch, you have to click until the desired settings and sometimes you can also accidentally bump into the flashlight and turn it on.
-Colors: I would assume 3000k-5000k? So that it brings out the colors?
-Waterproof: 3 orings just in case.

Cheers,
Salty and Free

Hi Xtar,

I'm currently using the Volador DF30 but have also used Orcatorch and Kinetics. For spearfishing, I usually look for the following specs:

-Size: Small, without sacrificing too much brightness. You need it to be small because you're also carrying a speargun.
-Brightness: Lumens isn't actually accurate from flashlight companies but for reference, a 1000 lumens from Orcatorch is about right. The DF30 claims to be 3000 lumens and I'm pretty happy with it. A bit heavy though.
-Beam Angle: Usually, a more focused beam would be better because you just want to point at a hole and see what's inside. The tighter the beam the brighter the spot you want to look at.
-Swtich: So far, I prefer the rotational switch of DF30 because you can directly go to the brightness that you want. With the click switch, you have to click until the desired settings and sometimes you can also accidentally bump into the flashlight and turn it on.
-Colors: I would assume 3000k-5000k? So that it brings out the colors?
-Waterproof: 3 orings just in case.

Cheers,
Salty and Free

Thanks for your kind sharing! Besides, for the type of light color, with white light, the red light should also be added? And do you usually fix the dive light on glove handles, helmet or speargun? :)

I personally don't know anybody that uses red dive light or if there's even a red dive light. If it's to bring out the colors just use warm light. For spearfishing, I think it's personal preference. I have a small flashlight that I use attached to the front of my small speargun. Anything heavier will affect movement and gun imbalance becomes too big. When I use the big gun I usually have the light on a lanyard on my wrist and if I'm scuba diving I'll attach a lanyard to my D-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom