What kind of tank do I have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhyno76

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone. Still a newbie diver, little over a year, so i'm still learning. I was given a scuba tank and was told that it was a 120. However on the tank I see no marking that would indicate this. It is a HEAVY tank (55 lbs) full. Indicated below are the markings. Any info would be great i.e. steel, aluminum, capacity etc.

LINE 1

TC-SU4957-230 BAR DOT-SP14157-3442 TP5250

LINE 2

REE92 X8119 3724505 11(up arrow with an A stamp)07 M8004 XS SCUBA

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Hey everyone. Still a newbie diver, little over a year, so i'm still learning. I was given a scuba tank and was told that it was a 120. However on the tank I see no marking that would indicate this. It is a HEAVY tank (55 lbs) full. Indicated below are the markings. Any info would be great i.e. steel, aluminum, capacity etc.

LINE 1

TC-SU4957-230 BAR DOT-SP14157-3442 TP5250

LINE 2

REE92 X8119 3724505 11(up arrow with an A stamp)07 M8004 XS SCUBA

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

XS Scuba Worthington Steel Scuba Cylinders

It is a Worthington X8-119. 8 inches diameter, 119 cubic feet, 3442 psi working pressure. You were given this?!?! That's awesome. These are really nice tanks, especially for newbies with higher than average air consumption, and make great tanks for deep diving later one down the road, as they have 50% more gas than a standard aluminum 80.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Line 1:
Transport Canada -- (special permit number?)
230 bar = max fill pressure (metric units)
Department of Transportation Special Permit 14157
3442psi = max fill pressure (imperial units)
Test Pressure (hydro) 5250psi

Line 2:
REE92 = Rejection Elastic Expansion 92mL (information for hydro testers)
X8119 = Worthington X8 series cylinder, 119cf at rated pressure
Serial Number
Originally manufactured in November of 2007
Distributed by XS Scuba

What you have is a Worthington X8-119. That means it's a 119cuft tank, 8 inches in diameter. It's rated pressure is 3442psi, commonly referred to as high-pressure. It's equivalent in physical size to a low-pressure 95cuft tank, but will have slightly different buoyancy and trim characteristics. It's original Hydro was in November of 2007. You can see the specs for it at worthingtons website(xs scuba is their primary distributor).

You were given that? Nice deal, man. They retail for about $400 or so more than you paid for it :)

Sweet. thanks for the info. I do get longer dives out of it but its just so friggin heavy compared to the al80's. Not bad on the boat dives but my majority of dives are beach dives. Walking up and down the steps down here (least amount of steps i've found so far 75) make it an effort. I usually have been using this my first dive then switching over to the 80. Debating on wether or not to hang on to it or just convert completely over to the 80's.

thanks for the help

Sweet. thanks for the info. I do get longer dives out of it but its just so friggin heavy compared to the al80's. Not bad on the boat dives but my majority of dives are beach dives. Walking up and down the steps down here (least amount of steps i've found so far 75) make it an effort. I usually have been using this my first dive then switching over to the 80. Debating on wether or not to hang on to it or just convert completely over to the 80's.

thanks for the help

My suggestion would be to keep it. If you want another lighter tank for shore dives, find a used al80 or old steel 72. Trust me, if you have any interest in getting into deeper diving, those 80's wont be your go to tank for long. Not to mention in cold water, the steel tank lets you knock 6 or more pounds off your weight belt.

Back
Top Bottom