What mm wetsuit are you currently using at Similans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaeric

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Been following the "Similan's Update!" (Dec 2006 - Jan 2007) thread. Posts seem to indicate that the water is a bit colder than usual. So, I'm curious as to what mm wetsuit those diving the Similans are wearing this time of year.

Thanks!

Eric

:14:

I am advising my guests to take at least a 3 mm full suit, shorty is simply not enough at the moment. They can rent them here as well if they don't bring their own.

Most of the guests are diving in full suits at the moment, and even on the trips to e.g. Racha Yai it is cold at the moment.

I had dives in 5mm shorty usually.
This was more than enough for tourists, not for instructors.

scubaeric:
Hi,

Been following the "Similan's Update!" (Dec 2006 - Jan 2007) thread. Posts seem to indicate that the water is a bit colder than usual. So, I'm curious as to what mm wetsuit those diving the Similans are wearing this time of year.

Thanks!

Eric

:14:

It's not "A BIT" colder; it's MUCH colder. It has been as cold as 22 Celcius and visibility as bad as 2 to 3 meter. And that is for ALL the diving between Hin Daeng in Thailand and Black Rock in Myanmar. These are not just thermoclines; it's something bigger than that and likely has to do with the El Nino/La Nina cycle. Currently watertemps are improving and so is the vis. The last two days temperatures got as "warm" as 27 Celcius and vis "as good" as 20 meter. Still, I can only hope that it stays as it is and doesn't get cold again.
Better bring a 7 mm wetsuit and a torch, just in case...:D

PS: Terrific manta action at Ko Bon now. At least 5 animals putting up a nice show!

Yup, I'm with you Bowmouth. Just got back and it was chilly (lowest I recorded was 22C - fine for first couple of dives but not so fun after that). Vis was not good at all. Just managed with skin and 3mm shortie on top (4 dives a day). As for other tourists- hoods and full 5mm suits all over the place. DM was wearing 11mm all up and talking about getting her dry suit shipped out! I guess months on end of liveaboard diving in the Similans can do that to a person!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom