what pencil for wetnotes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've never been truly happy with any pencil I've used underwater. wooden ones break to easy. the pop a points are hard to find and probably wont work with gloves. What else is out there?

Anyone tried these? Xit 404 - Aqua Pencil

Let me know what I should try next!

MODS feel free to move if needed

I've been using the Aqua Pencil with good success in my wetnotes.

Pilot Croquis mechanical pencils with soft, wide, unbreakable lead.

Best pencil for wetnotes, ever.
No metal parts.
Pencil works forever.
Lead last a long time without breaking.
Easy to use with wet or dry gloves.
Nearly neutral in water.

$5 to $8.
Worth every penny.

~~
Claudette

Pilot Croquis mechanical pencils with soft, wide, unbreakable lead.

Best pencil for wetnotes, ever.
No metal parts.
Pencil works forever.
Lead last a long time without breaking.
Easy to use with wet or dry gloves.
Nearly neutral in water.

$5 to $8.
Worth every penny.

~~
Claudette

Agreed that is what I use after Claudette and Ken recommended them, and they do work great. I got a few at once from Ebay and managed to lose one underwater at some point and gave the other one to my friend.

I keep the original pencil I got on a string in my wetnotes as a backup.

what claudette said...

How about using a solid graphite pencil available through any art supply store? I've been using them and they work very well. Available in many different hardnesses (sp?). Cutting them in half gives a perfect length.

DING DING DING! 10 points for Claudette....and 10 point for the Pilot Croquis pencil too :wink:

I bought 3 about 2 years ago. I am still on the first one, and I have one left as a back up. Yeah one, my IDC Instructor fell in love with it. What choice did I have?

How about using a solid graphite pencil available through any art supply store? I've been using them and they work very well. Available in many different hardnesses (sp?). Cutting them in half gives a perfect length.

I bought one once, but it was real slick on the sides. When I went to use it, it wasn't there. I suppose it slipped out of my wetnotes and went to the same place that one sock always seems to go after you use the dryer.

I've been using pop-a-point pencils for a few years now and they've been pretty good. I carry two of them, and my buddy has a few pencils too, so we're always covered.

Never tried the Aqua Pencil or the Pilot Croquis, but have purchased graphite pencils from Michaels. Because the graphite is slick and easily breakable, I use electrical heat shrink tubing.

thanks for all the replies! I think i will try the Pilot Croquis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom