What regulator do you lust after?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About twenty years ago, we were excited -- "lust" is bit much -- by the advent of the Poseidon Xstream, a somewhat smaller first stage than earlier models, one that initially used a ball bearing in a self-balancing "floating" seat, then later an industrial ruby, that would not require any weatherizing at all -- none of the either vodka-filled rubber caps or the messy ethanol / glycerin metal ones that required partial dismantling of a first stage and an IP reset, that had been a typical method for decades.

We were doing a good deal of cold water diving at the time, and I think that we both white-knuckled it the first time in Nanaimo, BC in Winter in around 6˚ C water, with those all-too naked Xstreams (though we did carry winterized ponies as well; not really that stupid); and while ice did form on both first stages, neither of us were faced with free-flows or any difficulty breathing, that had plagued some other divers that same day and had been all-too common to several other brands.

That was memorable; and rumor has it, that Poseidon is currently developing a turreted first stage -- and while I couldn't really give a rat's arse about that particular feature, I'd really like to take one apart.

Two decades out, I am still using Xstream first stages, often with Jetstreams for surf entries, both as primaries and as a component in Poseidon full face masks, along with their previous models, dating back to the 1970s, as ponies and stage bottles; and while I had been fortunate to try out most every brand that drew interest, over the years (though sadly, not Hotdive offered on Alibaba; I already know that I'm missing out), I still prefer the Swedes in the cold North, with my regulators set just this side of free-flow . . .
Back in the early 2000’s, Glen at Aquarius 2 wanted me to buy a Poseidon setup he had on closeout. It was a screaming deal. I should have picked it up. It wasn’t a Cyklon it was a newer one. I’m not familiar with the models but it took regular hoses.
At that time there were very few dealers in the US and parts and service were an issue. I hear they have improved their presence in the US since then and also freely sell parts to the end user.

I dive a Scubapro MK25, S600, C370, I'm perfectly happy.
Would I do any better?
Sometimes it isn't about doing better, it is sometimes about doing more :)

Only two at this time: An original CG-45 from 1946 and a GSD Spinnakar in working order.

Back in the early 2000’s, Glen at Aquarius 2 wanted me to buy a Poseidon setup he had on closeout. It was a screaming deal. I should have picked it up. It wasn’t a Cyklon it was a newer one. I’m not familiar with the models but it took regular hoses.
At that time there were very few dealers in the US and parts and service were an issue. I hear they have improved their presence in the US since then and also freely sell parts to the end user.
Parts for every model are still readily available, over the counter, as it were — right back to the Cyklon 300, that had been discontinued in 1993 . . .

Back
Top Bottom