What scuba gear should I get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterwarrior

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I get $1000 from college graduation to buy scuba equipment. I do most of my diving in South Florida on the Atlantic side, venture into the gulf some, and dive the bahamas, I do a lot of spearing and lobstering while I'm down there and usually do depths between 70 and 100 feet but want to start going deeper. Need the best BCD/regulator and computer (if possible) package for the best price and don't really know what to look for. Any points in the right direction would be great, thanks

when do you have such funds? There are some local shops that have some top notch suff in the closeout bins....

I don't know too much about regulators just yet but I can tell you a bit about BCs. Most likely you're going to get a push to go towards a back inflate BC or BP/W setup. I dive a Zeagle Stiletto and I couldn't be any more happier with it, besides wanting to try out a BP/W setup. If you plan on moving towards tech go BP/W, you can find plenty of posts about those on here.

After trying several regs, I settled for an Apeks DS4 first stage and XTX50 primary/XTX40 secondary second stage. Very happy with the way they breathe (some people take issue with the relatively small purge button, but to me it's fine). Good value for money and can support tech diving too if you decide to try it.

With BCs it really boils down to finding the one you're comfortable with. My reccomendation is to try a BP/W setup as well as jackets/back inflates before you decide. I did and it saved me the money I would have spent on the jacket I wanted to buy originally.

Safe dives!

Stay with the major brands. Stay in the upper price ranges. If you are thinking technical diving you should know, if you don't know already, that technical regulators are different from recreational regs. Much of the concern seems to have to do with freeflow failure due to the colder temps in deeper waters. I am sure there are additional concerns.

Contact the manufacturers here on ScubaBoard with your concerns and desires. I have found them very responsive and very helpful.

Taking a technical diving course will connect you with the right people and information.

Dive safely and have fun!

Regulator and BPW setup here: Can't beat this deal with a big ol stick-http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/hoggearbpwsinglesfullsetwreg-p-2097.html

And as for a computer-
Hollis Digital Bottom Timer and Nitrox Computer - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
Sale is for today only though.

Add a HOG SPG $36 and 24 inch hose $22 and wrist compass $44 and you are good to go.

Total $995 or so plus shipping and I'll bet Mike will throw that in if you call and say please!

this why I'd look at apollo products as well. How many equipment manufacturers will actually recommend another? granted they no longer offer some of what you are looking for but that is still a classy move.

I get $1000 from college graduation to buy scuba equipment. I do most of my diving in South Florida on the Atlantic side, venture into the gulf some, and dive the bahamas, I do a lot of spearing and lobstering while I'm down there and usually do depths between 70 and 100 feet but want to start going deeper. Need the best BCD/regulator and computer (if possible) package for the best price and don't really know what to look for. Any points in the right direction would be great, thanks

If hunting Florida is your thing then talk to someone who will steer you in the right direction- not non-hunters from elsewhere. From a hunting perspective there is already some advice you may want to reconsider in this thread- such as the pros and cons of wearing gear on your wrists.

You wrote you venture into the Gulf some, so maybe talk with Brent at Dean's Dive Center in Fort Myers. He knows just a little about spearfishing Florida.

Congrats on graduating.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind what ever you buy (I'm thinking regs here) you will need to get serviced. So you might want to consider that when shopping around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom