What sort of things do you like to put in your Logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Normal buddy and I actually thought the normal 'off the shelf' log book formats bought from PADI or similar were pretty boring format, expensive and kind of restricting with space and layout - so made a simple table on computer, printed 10 per A4 sheet on sticky back paper, with following Dive Data -

Dive Number -
Date -
Country & Place -
Dive Site -
Off Boat/Beach -
Breathing -
Weights -
Water °C -
Wearing -
Conditions -
Time in -
Time out -
Dive time -
Max Depth -
With Who ? -
Buddy/DM signature-
Special Things on Dive ?

Then bought some plain paper hard back books, to stick the printed tables in, one or two or three per book page depending how interesting the dive was, and depending on what else we want to add about the dive.

Bought an amazingly small (can fit in a shirt pocket) 'polaroid' printer - that can plug camera stright into and print off 3" x 2" (75mm x 50mm) pics, on the polaroid sticky back water proof photo paper.

So we keep - Basic data in small table as above, plus later print a couple of little pics stuck next to data from the particular dive, plus some sketches of things, compass bearings followed (if it's first time on the site) plus a few words about the place/buddies/currents and basically 'things' or little 'events' that happened on the dive.

Sometimes, a record might extend a couple of pages for a dive, or other times just the basic dive data.

More often than not, if sitting in a dive centre or with other divers logging our dives, a fellow diver or two tend to look through the log books and have often been told they are the best log books they've ever seen:) - and for sure we think are a perfect style record and log for all our recreational dives to look back on.

Inside front cover of Log book, also have copies of DAN contact numbers, copies of Dive Cards, and own contact details etc.

:D Cheers

Normal buddy and I actually thought the normal 'off the shelf' log book formats bought from PADI or similar were pretty boring format, expensive and kind of restricting with space and layout - so made a simple table on computer, printed 10 per A4 sheet on sticky back paper, with following Dive Data -

Dive Number -
Date -
Country & Place -
Dive Site -
Off Boat/Beach -
Breathing -
Weights -
Water °C -
Wearing -
Conditions -
Time in -
Time out -
Dive time -
Max Depth -
With Who ? -
Buddy/DM signature-
Special Things on Dive ?

Then bought some plain paper hard back books, to stick the printed tables in, one or two or three per book page depending how interesting the dive was, and depending on what else we want to add about the dive.

Bought an amazingly small (can fit in a shirt pocket) 'polaroid' printer - that can plug camera stright into and print off 3" x 2" (75mm x 50mm) pics, on the polaroid sticky back water proof photo paper.

So we keep - Basic data in small table as above, plus later print a couple of little pics stuck next to data from the particular dive, plus some sketches of things, compass bearings followed (if it's first time on the site) plus a few words about the place/buddies/currents and basically 'things' or little 'events' that happened on the dive.

Sometimes, a record might extend a couple of pages for a dive, or other times just the basic dive data.

More often than not, if sitting in a dive centre or with other divers logging our dives, a fellow diver or two tend to look through the log books and have often been told they are the best log books they've ever seen:) - and for sure we think are a perfect style record and log for all our recreational dives to look back on.

Inside front cover of Log book, also have copies of DAN contact numbers, copies of Dive Cards, and own contact details etc.

:D Cheers
I going to steal this for my self. I like this :D

Heath Sapp,

No problem, we'll compare if ever meeting ! I actually got the idea from a Japanese log book I saw someone using.

I'll take a pic later of a typical page from my 'log' book and post it in this thread.

Cheers

Most of the things mentioned above, + name and model of equipment used, how I slept nite before and what I ate/drank day before.....

I find myself (sometimes) just skimping on info. Sometimes it's not all that great...viz or critters or even weight, salt or fresh but make yourself do it. It's important in the long run. You'll be a better diver for it

I make notes on what I think went well or poorly on the dive, we are working on navigation so I draw some pictures too of the site and the headings I take and where I end up at in the site if possible. I look at it not only a log of dives but a journal of the whole experience.

"I think that you're splitting hairs, but given my respect for you and my love for LACo, I won't fight it."

Thall

The respect is mutual

As is the respect for the LA Co Underwater Instructor courses...

Interesting that the LA Co courses are "Underwater" rather than SCUBA?...when LA Co was established in 1954 SCUBA was not in common usage.
sdm

Heath Sapp,

No problem, we'll compare if ever meeting ! I actually got the idea from a Japanese log book I saw someone using.

I'll take a pic later of a typical page from my 'log' book and post it in this thread.

Cheers

There yah go --- a sample of my 'home made' log book .. :wink: .. I should have patented it !

Excuse the messy writing :D

Just the basics

FYI - Those pages are from a couple of Malapascua dives- if you want to kill an hour and read a "long" trip report (on line Log ?), I posted it here - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...cua-trip-june-03-08-2011-some-words-pics.html ...

Cheers

I like to keep up with water temps and see how they change from season to season. Also, to get really dorky, I'll try and keep a weight record with what suite I wore during the dive. The local sea life is a must and anything interesting that happend to me while below. :D

My dive log has morphed over the years. I started with the traditional PADI log book and when I ran out of pages I created my own. I use write in the rain paper and get 4 entry pages from every 8 1/2 X 11 piece of paper. I occasionally will reorganize it to accommodate new data I want to record.

My latest addition is labeling what I call my bucket list dives. The one that come once in a great while but were memorable. I didn't add anything to the page, it's just recorded in the narrative. I then record it in my electronic dive log.

Since I'm a data geek, I transfer all of the data I write in my log book into and Excel workbook. This workbook has a variety of charts, graphs and pivot table that provide what I want for information. My latest addition is a graph that plots a trend analysis measuring average depth & air consumption. Just something else to play with.

Back
Top Bottom