What spring straps fit Mares Volo Power?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, I make ones that work on Volo's.

These are Aqualung Blade II's, they have the same size posts:

bladefinished.jpg

bladeside.jpg

I saw them on Mares site. I think they go for $70 a pair which is over half the price of the fins...I don't really want to modify the mounting post and I've seen some posts around the SB reporting successfully mouthing Innovative/Blue Reef straps on Mares fins with no modifications.

I use the Innovatives on my Volos- you have to really push them over the post, then twist them over the indexing bar on the post. Once on they will not come off, and work very well. Also, you have the advantage of clips so if you really have to get them off, you can just unclip them. I prefer the solid mounts so there is no way for them to come off "accidentally". But I have these and some Atomic splits, and in over 200 dives between them there have been no accidental releases.

XS scuba straps attachments look like they can work for me but I'm not sure I'm thrilled about the way the spring distributes the pressure - others use a thick rubber pad. Has anyone tried them on?

I had XS straps on my old fins and really liked them. But I dove cold water and always wear 5 mil booties. I never noticed them creating pressure in a particular spot.

Thanks! Using your directions I managed to get them on successfully. How can I tell if my springs are the right size? Should the rubber part (with the pull) go over the heel of the boot? I can get both buckles snapped with some moderate tension of the spring but its not quite as comfortable as with the rubber strap...

Last edited:
I cut them custom to fit you. I have clear tubing, or tubular nylon in red, yellow or black to put over the springs.

In order to know which springs I have to use I need a measurement from you. For fins that use a post to attach the strap buckles, while wearing your boot & fin with the buckles & strap removed measure from the center of one post, around the heel, to the center of the other post. Be sure you get your boot all the way inside the fin for proper fit.

Common length sets for Blades & similar mounts are $44 shipped domestically. If you use Rock boots or some such that require unusually long springs, the springs I have to buy cost a lot more. Those are $54 shipped domestically.

Yellow:

oms002Small-1.jpg

Red:

springsredfloor.jpg

i don't have a pic of black, but it's the same material.

I edited the message above - I tried again using the instructions in the post above and managed to get these straps on successfully. Should the rubber piece go over the heel or above the heel? I'm trying to see if my springs are over-stretched in closed position or not. I don't think I can take these straps off without using the quick release buckle just by pulling on the rubber piece... Does that look like an over-stretched spring?

spring.jpg

spring1.jpg

spring2.jpg

spring3.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
I edited the message above - I tried again using the instructions in the post above and managed to get these straps on successfully. Should the rubber piece go over the heel or above the heel? I'm trying to see if my springs are over-stretched in closed position or not. I don't think I can take these straps off without using the quick release buckle just by pulling on the rubber piece... Does that look like an over-stretched spring?

spring.jpg

spring1.jpg

spring2.jpg

spring3.jpg

Thanks.

If you cannot take off your spring strap by just pulling the rubber piece, that means your spring strap is too tight. That's the reason you feel not comfortable.

The spring strap you got actually comes with 4 sizes, small(spring length about 6.5 inches), medium, large and extra large(spring length about 9.5 inches). You should choose one size that allows you to don and doff your spring strap easily by pulling the rubber piece.

As for this kind of spring strap to fit on your Mares Power Volo fins, based on my personal experience I just used a Dremel tool to enlarge (just a little bit) the end hole diameter of the buckel so that it could accommodate the larger post of Mares fins. I have done a few pairs of spring straps for Mares fins by this method and they all works very well for a couple years with hundreds dives. Hope this helps.

Actually, I needed no Dremel tool in this case - the buckles are mare from some pretty hard plastic so that twisting the buckle on the post takes care of the index notch quite easily. I wear size 10 boots and I believe L size fin pockets - following LP recommendation I got size M strap. If I put it over the heel or just above it actually feels quite comfortable but I can probably overstretch the spring if I pull it off by a rubber piece.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom