What the heck is this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajb

Reaction score
Hey! Been away for a while. Diving a lot too so that's cool. I was diving in the Bahamas this last week and saw one of these a couple of times. Being a landlocked high altitude diver for most of the time, I really don't know what it is.

So, what the heck is it?

Attachments

• bahamas 2009 3  (24) low.jpg
    bahamas 2009 3 (24) low.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 105
To be even more specific, it's a sharksucker.

Someone will drop by momentarily to tell you which species. My book is in the office.

okedoke... this is the fish that attaches to the sharks then. saw lots of sharks but this guy was in O.W. so didn't know. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Yes thats a remora, wich species i don't know, they ussualy leave their host for some time or to get another, some species won't be arround for mating season to protect themselves, or it just maybe attached to a shark wich didn't grow as much as she needed so he left him.

Several possibilities.

The Humann and DeLoach book, ( New World Publications - Product Index ) shows two fairly common ones including:

sharksucker, Echeneis naucrates.
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=2467

and whitefin sharksucker Echeneis neucratoides.

But to add confusion to the issue, starting on page 1414 of this document:
ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/009/y4162e/y4162e00.pdf
you’ll see there are eight candidates in the region.

Back
Top Bottom