What to bring to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhunteriii

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a first timer going to Bonaire and I am wondering what equipment I should bring?

What thickness of wetsuit should I use, I will be diving for a week?

Do I need to bring a safety sausage with me?

How extensive of a save-a-dive kit to I need or are parts readily available?

Is there any reason to pack anything besides shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hard sole booties are a must for shore entries. Wetsuit thickness tends to be personal. My husband and I wear 3mm year round and I add a beanie. Some wear less and some wear more. Safety sausage is never a bad idea. As to a save-a-dive kit we keep it to a bare minimum as parts are very readily available. We prefer to see Bruce at Carib Inn if we need parts or service. A copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter is a great resource. It is available at Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter or on island.

Shorts, t-shirts and flip flops will serve you well but you might feel more comfortable in a collared polo style shirt at some of the restaurants. There has been a lot of rain lately so mosquito spray is a good idea as well. There is no need to take Traveller's Checks as there are many ATMs to get cash in either dollars or local currency. If you pay in dollars you will be given change in guilders. You will need to ask for your check in restaurants as it is considered bad manners to present the check before it is requested. Credit cards are not accepted at many of the smaller "snacks." We also pack a fabric grocery bag for our trips to the grocery store.

Have fun!!

reefdiva,

Actually no rain for quite a few days, so the 'skeeters have calmed down alot! I second Carib Inn for parts and repairs. We utilize him and we live here!

dhunter,

DON'T FORGET SUNBLOCK, especially for the back of the neck! You would be surprised at how many people who dive with wetsuits end up having sore, reddened back of the neck! Another thing, if bringing cash DO NOT bring anything higher than a $20.00 in denomination. Most places (like the grocery store, snacks, stores and a lot of restaurants) will not take $50 or $100.00 bills. Credit cards are also accepted widely.

Liz

Add to your list a big smile and a laid back attitude and your set. You can find pretty much anything you need on Bonaire you just have to know where to look or who to ask (Liz at GRI and Micheal at Chat and Browse are your best bets)

We didn't have any rain and you will still need bug spray. Mostly for the legs. sun block. Good sneakers or hiking shoes if you plan to go Washington Slagbaii state park or or other top side physical activites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom