What to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a dc310 and found out that the camera is the same as my fiances vivitar that her mom got her two years ago at walmart. for 149 bucks. it's a vivtar vivicam 3715. they changed the landscape symbol to a fish and there is different lettering on the lens but it is the same body and all controls function the same. Hers does have a small issue with the battery door but a little suprer glue on the one pin that is cracked will fix it. Since I got her a new digital for xmas I now have a backup for mine.

Zambezi,

I started playing with photography way back in the 1950's as a teen. So, photographic terms have been part of my life for a long time. I would love to suggest a book on photography basics, but it has been so long since I have had such a book in my mitts, that I just do not know what is out there.

That said, let me be so bold as to suggest you pick up a book on basic photography from your local book monger--or whatever you folks call book sellers. And I would like to suggest you find one of the late Jim Church's book on underwater photography. His or his ex-wife (not widow) Cathy's tomes are good introductions to uw photography although they do not cover some of the idiocyncracies of digital photography. However, basics are basics and I think it will help you master the art.

UW photography is very different from land photography due to the different behavior (behaviour) of light in water compared to air. However, such things as aperature (lens opening), exposure time, depth of focus, effective film speed (ISO), etc. remain the same and need to be understood, even if vaguely.

So, if you can bear to wait a bit before parting with your Krugerands, have a go at reading a few books. If you want to get inspired, you might dig up a book or two by Norbert Wu. He is a master uw photographer who never ceases to inspire me.

Hang in there...and enjoy diving with or without a camera...

joewr

If you trigger your strobe with a fibre optic cable it should work with either camera.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

I've always been a "point and shoot" photographer but now really enjoy taking pics underwater. After reading your replies and a few other threads, it's definitely time to get a better understanding of photography and all the ins and outs. I'll be doing a lot more reading before making a decision/purchase.

Andyt, thanks a mil for pointing out the BHPhotovideo site, their prices are great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom