What to consider and where to learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll start this by saying that I don't plan on starting a DM course before the fall of 2012 and figure on having around 100 dives or more before I start. I'm also sure a lot of this has been asked before, so thanks for your patience.

What should I be looking for in choosing a shop/school? Obviously the instructor(s) is important, but what else should be looking for in terms of training opportunities or possibility of employment after certification, etc? Is a shop that trains instructors as well of any benefit over one that doesn't?

I'm currently thinking of doing the course/internship in the Caribbean somewhere, possibly Utila, and then working around warm waters for a while. So far all my training, and Rescue when I do it, will have been in cold water. Would doing DM in a tropical location be problematic if I later decide I want to do instructor training here?

For now I'm just looking at the options that are available, is there anything else I should pay attention to/look for while perusing websites?

Thanks

When I chose my divemaster course I sent emails to a few different locations to see what feedback I got. Don't limit yourself to one place. You get a general vibe off of your replies. i looked for a course that offered an internship allowing to learn a variety of skills around the resprt , not just XYZ rather than just a short "practical" type divemaster. Personally I was looking for a the slighter smaller shop where I wasn't going to be one of 20 or so candidates so at the time I chose Roatan and was one of 6 DMTs. I got to work on lots of real classes, help out on boats, learn equipment repair etc which was great. As for the dry suit cold water issue. Its not an issue. If you already have training in the cold water I don't think its a huge thing to go back to it after you DM so don't worry. Enjoy your diving and have a great time next year with your DM whereever it may be!

I would say spend your time making sure the instructor you get is the right one for you...

the DM course is completely different to any of the lower courses, and although the book mentions this, i was actually really surprised at the difference between the teaching styles of my instructor for my DM and observing how he interacted with OW/AOW/rescue courses.

having an instructor who fully understands this concept I'm guessing is not easy. I don't expect everyone to agree with me here, but I would generally say having an IDC staff instructor is something I would be looking for. also someone with at least a few thousand dives and someone who's been instructing for a long time. my instructor was otherwise employed and quite successful, so he really was doing this for his love of teaching people to dive...

as for location, not really... if you really want to do the IDC course I'd do them fairly close together since you cover all the same theory again in the IDC as you did in the DM.

one other thing to consider is the shop's throughput of students and WHAT courses they are doing... being a DMC with a tropical shop that have 99% DSD and OW will get boring fast...

Ideally you want to have experience on all courses during your DM course.

Consider the financial commitment, the full amount: agency fees, recreational dive insurance, liability insurance, disability/life insurance, CPR/First Aid certifications, travel costs, gear and manual purchases, and you're almost guaranteed to be a part-time employee.

If you can speak multiple languages you'll do well, but you may need that OWSI... but good luck!

Things to consider:
Training Agencies: They are 6 in one half dozen the other. Look at yearly membership dues. Usually most agencies have an area saturated (more NAUI shops than PADI in a certain area) so if your area is like that than it might be easier to get a job if your certified by the predominant agency

Shops: Is the shop that is going to train you have a position open for you when you become an instructor. If not than it might be best to go somewhere else and establish a relationship what the shop as a customer before your start working to make sure it is a good fit.

Cost: The length and cost of a course are pretty standard. The shops can charge what they want but it's usually pretty close to be competitive. But you usually get what you pay for. The one that costs more probably has more boat dives and less beach or something like that.

Good Luck

Some good advice above, but just to add a little different view to the 'choosing the instructor' comments...

For me, I'd look for a dive shop with around four or more instructors employed. Then when doing the DM course as an internship, you will get to work with all of the instructors and see their different teaching styles and different techniques for dealing with problems..... For me, this is much better than just doing the course with one dedicated instructor...

There's always more than one way to skin a cat...

Just wanted to bump this...

I'm looking to start my divemaster in Jan 2012, somewhere in Asia Pacific, most likely, in Australia.

Does anyone have anything to add to the above?

For those that have already completed or are currently completing their DM now, what questions did you ask of your diveshop? Are there any questions you wished you had asked before you signed up?

Some great replies here. Each speaks to a few of the issues that should be looked at as you decide who and where you should take your DM.

The warm vs cold is the least of your consideration.

I tend to lean toward Bubble J's reply. A shop that has 4 Instr's teaching is a fairly busy shop. You'll learn a great deal more working with two or three Instr's vs just one.

Also working in a true DM Course with intership, vs the 6 days slam-bam here's your card course, will help make you a DM that Instr's and Students will ask for when they need help.

Agencies are a whole other bag of worms. I've been around three and must say they vary in their approach to Costs, Training and not to be ignored "Training Materials".

If you choose a training location that is a DM / Instr mill, vs one that has a more person approach, beware !

Good Luck in your decision ...

B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom