Do I need a BC like the students wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for dive pro's opinions about whether or not I should purchase a jacket-style BC, similar to what my LDS that I'm doing my DM training with puts the students in for basic open water training, or if it's not worth the extra money. I own a ScubaPro Hydros Pro with Air2, but have found that sometimes the demonstrations don't translate as well since they are mostly in the Level with standard power inflator. For context, my goal is to be an instructor in the next couple years or so. I appreciate any input.

When I was working as a pro instructor, all the equipment was provided by the resorts where I was working (Club Vacanze).
They had an agreement with Cressi.
We were mandated to use the very same equipment as the students, so that everything was perfectly aligned. I did find it very reasonable, for two reasons:
1) I did not have to pay for the equipment, as this was provided for free from the employer (as it is mandated by law here in Italy, the employer MUST provide cloths and equipment to the employees).
2) Having the very same equipment for everyone did make teaching easier, and the students were learning faster.

I would not and if they insist they should provide it. Also the students should learn primary and secondary donate as they may go rent a BC after their class and it has an Air2 on it. The shops that I have worked out of have a mixture of both in their rentals.

The shop you teach for may require you to be in a product they prioritize in sales.

You also should utilize what you feel is the best configuration, but be able to utilize and explain proper use of all forms of basic gear. Perhaps properly explaining the plusses and minuses of each.

At least that is what I'd expect from an instructor.,.

... my DM training with ...

This is going to vary based on the shop, the instructor, the "role" you're playing as DM, and the class you're DMing for.

Some shops/programs expect DMs to be assistance instructors and some expect them to be invisible safety divers (this isn't an endorsement of either, just stating how it is).

e.g. In an OW course where I'm helping a lot I'll probably match gear (roughly). For the deep specialty off a charter boat and I'm just there as primarily a safety diver I'm doing that in doubles.

Given that unfamiliarity with gear is a common factor in accident chains make sure you do some diving in your new configuration before you have to handle any emergencies with it.

I've been diving a back inflate BCD for more than a decade.. from what I've read, it's as close as you can get to the backplate/wing setup without actually being there, which is considered the best way to dive because it provides for a more natural relaxed stable trim.

My recent dive trips have been to more distant destinations, where gear is included with the cost of the charter or liveaboard. So I've left my prized personal dive gear home, and used rented gear which is typically jacket style BCDs and even *gasp* weightbelts.

I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever, other than the jacket style BCD is more comfortable when floating on the surface, and much less of a tendency to tip forward. And yes, before anyone asks, I use a minimal amount of gas in my rear inflate BCD at the surface and still feel that if I didn't compensate with fin kicks I'd be face down in the water.

I'm nowhere in the realm of instruction but if it were me, it seems like it would be easier to teach people who are using the same gear I have. And as a student with all this strange stuff on my body, it would be easier to follow the instructor if we were mirroring each other. It's reasonable to expect the dive op to provide it, even if you just go claim it from the rental locker. If you choose to use your own gear, I would definitely replace the Air2 and use a traditional octo.

When I was still periodically diving with the students here during their open water checkouts, I made sure to use my Scubapro Stab Jacket and AIR 2 and (usually) my Mk 10 + G250/Balanced Adjustable. The students used university-owned SSJ's and Mk 25's in their pool training, and they rented similar equipment, but with an AIR 2 attached, for their open water checkouts.

Doing this (i.e., using the same equipment as the certies are using) just makes sense to me.

Occasionally, I would decide to exercise my Poseidon Odins for the deep dives. When I did, I made sure to have the students breathe off of them, purge them, recover them and purge them, buddy-breathe them, etc., first, before our dives commenced.

By the way, a PST (Sherwood Genesis, 3,500 psig) HP80 + SSJ (1994-era, non-weight integrated, "Classic" model) + AIR 2 + Poseidon Odin 1st and 2nd stages is a neat, tidy package for a MO freshwater, recreational, wetsuit dive!

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom