What to do before liveaboard on St Maarten for 5-6 hrs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, just spoke with Randy at Explorer Ventures and he was more than happy to tell me that I can store my bags with them that morning. So I guess now we are free to go wherever we want.

It sounds like staying in the Philipsburg area is the best bet to avoid traffic. We're not really into shopping for "made in Taiwan" stuff but if there's local artisan stuff we'd probably enjoy it. Is there a sandy patch nearby?

Hey--we're from Alaska. It doesn't take much of a beach to make us happy. We'd both rather have a quiet spot with easy access to soda and food. Orient beach sounds great but I really don't know if we are going to want to trek an hour anywhere. Hubby would be happy to snooze under a palm tree with ice tea in easy reach (too early and too hot for alcohol).

The heavy traffic on the Dutch side is always between Philipsburg and the airport, so doing Orient Beach, which is on the east-northeast. is still an option.

I can't help you as far as local artisan stuff, sorry. Only thing I know about shopping there is that crystals and liquor are cheap compared to the States.

Great Bay is a sandy beach, altho rather bare. The western end of it might be preferable only because it's farther away from the center of town and the marinas. Or you could taxi over to the next bay, which is Little Bay. There used to be a Divi hotel there - not sure if it's still there.

Crime has been on the rise in St. Maarten so observe all the normal precautions that you would if you were in an unknown city.

Irene
Front Street near the Marina where the boat will be is there for the cruise ships - so it is very aggressive selling - everyone wants to be your friend. There are some other shops right as you get off the boat that have trinkets and stuff but I cannot say it is locally made. There are some very cool tshirt shops at the beginning of Front Street.
There is also a beach on the back side of Front Street but I was advised by the crew of CEXII that I should NOT go in the water there as it is very close to the marina. However, there is a beach there. So being from Alaska and not very picky, this might work for you.
All that being said, Orient Beach is about 20 -30 minutes from the Marina and it is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. I wanted to buy a condo there! So, if you are feeling adventurous and want a nice beach where you can swim, take the ride to Orient. You will not be disappointed. As EPrincess said there are umbrellas, tables with umbrellas, restaurants, and I believe even places to take showers and change.
Also as Manuel Sam says, crime is on the rise. I have been reading lots of stories, so be careful.

P.S.
Sorry to hear about your itinerary change. I would be freaking out as well, although I know Randy will do everything in his power to make you happy.

Phillipsburg is fronted by a 'sandy patch' with the 2 main shopping streets (Front St and Back St) running parallel. Local stuff, hmmm, not much. Couple blocks off Front, sometimes the locals set up stalls with stuff, can't guarantee local. (Jewelry is another story! Front street is my favorite shopping block!) There are a couple of local artists (water, oil and acrylics) with shops on Front St. Do stop at the Guavaberry Emporium for a frozen guavaberry, they can make them sans alcohol. (And do sample some Saba Spice while on Saba! Yummy over vanilla ice cream.) Many of the restaurants on Front street have seating on the promenade running along the beach so it is pleasant to sit, watch the water and have a bite or beverage. I don't agree that the locals are agressive, yes, they will ask. I say 'no thank you' and they move on. (I have been places with far more agressive hustlers.) I agree, trying to run around with limited time is not the optimal way to spend your downtime. For more on St. Marteen, check out Travel Talk Online (traveltalkonline.com) with a whole section of SXM devotees.

P.S.
Sorry to hear about your itinerary change. I would be freaking out as well, although I know Randy will do everything in his power to make you happy.

He did! I have no complaints and only praise for Explorer Ventures. They have handled this cancellation (we were the only 2 pax on board) extremely well. I haven't had to pay a cent to reroute my flights from/to Miami and they even picked up the cost of the ferry to Saba. Clay, the owner, sent me the ferry ticket personally :)

Ok, I'm convinced! We'll try Orient Beach after I check out the Tanzanite store :) It looked farther away on the little online map I scavenged. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Ok, I'm convinced! We'll try Orient Beach after I check out the Tanzanite store :) It looked farther away on the little online map I scavenged. Thanks to everyone for the help.

That is a great choice, it is a beautiful beach, Lots of bars very relaxing.

The little shack where the cab drops you off at in Orient is a great place for BBQ ribs and sometimes they have live music. It's kinda the dividing line between the nudist resort and the rest of the beach.

Since Orient faces to the east, it can get somewhat choppy if it's windy - it's a bit calmer the further you go into the nudist resort side of the beach because there's a chunk of land that juts out on that side to sort of act as a barrier.

If you do choose to snorkel here, be always alert of jetskis, boats, and windsurfers.

Back
Top Bottom