What To Do On Truk/chuuk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just came back from Micronesia and the Blue Lagoon was great. I was on the Odyssey one night and it's a nice ship. The other departure guests all stayed at the BL and said is was good. They have an outdoor bar there that should fill up your night.

Ask at the hotel and hire a car and guide to do a tour of Moen. There are lots of interesting places such as Xavier High School and the gun emplacements in caves alongside the mountain that you will not see otherwise. They also stop by the US Air Force Civic Actions Headquarters that offers the absolute best view of the island.

The Blue Lagoon (formerly Truk Continental) is a clean hotel with absoutely beautiful landscaping. Remember though, it is not a five-star establishment. The last time I was there the cook was Filipino and did some wonderfully mouth watering dishes.

slammer:
I'm Going To Truk And Diving With Odyssy Live Aboard And On Departure Day The Plane Dosn't Leave Untill 2:30 Am. Has Anyone Found A Good Bet For Filling Up You Time. The Blue Lagoon Hotel Has Mixed Reviews. Thanks Slammer

I just went there in December and had the same flight you describe 2:25AM to Guam, so they kick ya off the boat at 8AM and you have to kill the day.

First of all let me say that the Odyssey was unbelievable. Best week of my life. Its hell to get off - you have to wear shoes again, etc, etc...bummer. I have booked a return trip on 6/25.

BL is just OK. It is not a resort like we think of a resort. No hairdryers or mini-bars. No pool. Of course the property is very pretty and you can walk around taking pictures. The grass is so green and the mountains in the background are really lovely. After that 20 minutes is over, you can lounge on the beach for a bit.

Other things you can do...since you will have been completely out of contact with everything and everyone for a week, you can pay $5 to use the computer in the lobby. There you can email or IM or whatever. Just make sure you have a web-based email address before you go, so you can store your address book. You can check football scores if so inclined or just get the latest news. The US might have burned down while you were gone and you would not know it! (Oh its dial up, so you will need the whole hour you paid for!)

Run up to the dive shop to get a t-shirt. They have much better t-shirts than the one in the lobby of the resort. The BL dive shop is right in the property.

They have a decent restaurant where you can have lunch and dinner. Make a reservation if you have more than 4 though and be prepared to wait a while for service.

Some of our group went to check out Moen. They arranged a tour to leave about 2:30 PM and the tour was about 2 hours. They didn't think it was worth it. I didn't go.

The other poster mentioned a bar. This is down by the water - you can't miss it. It opens around 2ish or 3ish, I forget. I was down there at a table for a while before it opened just writing some memories down. Its all outdoors. There you can see them preparing the Odyssey for the next group and you'll see the day trip divers coming back (thanking your lucky stars that you had the Odyssey). Its interesting people watching. By 5PM the bar area is mobbed and fun! We went to dinner at 6, finished at 9, then went for a nap until 10:30. The Odyssey crew will come back to the hotel to take you to the airport at around 11:30.

When were you there Sunshine? I might have seen you, I was there from the 16th to the 23rd. The Odyssey was down for a week and we had drinks with Stu on board one night.

Diver Dennis:
When were you there Sunshine? I might have seen you, I was there from the 16th to the 23rd. The Odyssey was down for a week and we had drinks with Stu on board one night.

I got off the boat on Sunday, December 4. Did you hang out with JJ and Mike too. Stew is cool - I called him frat boy. He seems like one to me!

Sunny

Diver Dennis:
Stuart's contract runs out in a couple months and yes he is just a big frat boy, but fun!

Darn - hope he's still around when I get back. (probably not)

Back
Top Bottom