What to do when an instructor is out of line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The plan for this dive was to go down to the first platform, hang out while the instructor helped with a OW class, and then descend to depth, do a few skills, come back up the chain and stairs, do some more skills and an extended safety stop. The dive team was the instructor, myself, and another student.

We dove to the platform, spent 25 minutes holding the edge of the platform and then after confirming okay began our dive. The instructor led, followed by the other student who was a lady, and me behind her.

I am disappointed to hear about your experience. No offense, but it is one side. Having said that I would point out that you didn't mention the depth of the first platform nor your intended depth for the deep dive. Since you have talked with another instructor, another DM student, and the CD if you are still disappointed I would report this to PADI QA as others have suggested. If your description of the incident is accurate there are a couple of things I would point out:

I think the instructor was very unprofessional to say the least; probably frightened at loosing 50% of his class on a deep dive and angry with himself in addition to you. With a group that small you should descend together, not individually down a line. The instructor is supposed to be observing you for problems, not swimming ahead.

Why would you begin a Deep Dive with a 25 minute wait on a platform? You don't mention the platform depth but I've seen some divers that would be close to 1500 psi after 25 minutes at 20-30 feet. This pause to assist with an open water training dive causes me some real concern in judgment when you had to descend, do some skills, ascend, do more skills and then have a safety stop.

This has sounds like an assembly line rather than a safe approach to dive training.

Terry

i'm embarrassed that it took me as long as it did to read 433 posts. im embarrassed that i had the patience to read all 433. im embarrassed to admit to having fallen into the track of human nature's need to fulfill the void only satiated by true controversy ...

ironically through all those posts, my favorite ones were the 911 call dialogue, and the jersey/philly/dallas jokes .... well done SB community ...

and finally, wow ... 25 dives and rescue completed ... and a shop gives the "ok" to begin DM training .... lovely ... that part literally bothers me most about the entire OP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom