what to do with 140cf tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11x

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello, I have a chance to pickup 2 beachuat tanks for $250. Is this s good deal and what is the most common use for them. Could I dive one with my drysuit?

You'd never catch me diving one without my drysuit!

Sure, with a wing or bc of proper lift and your are weighted correctly, why not?

Hello, I have a chance to pickup 2 beachuat tanks for $250. Is this s good deal and what is the most common use for them. Could I dive one with my drysuit?

Way too much bouyancy shift. You would never be able to have good bouyancy control--as part of this means not using ridiculous amounts of air in your bc to compensate for ridiculous amounts of negative weight( which is the beginning of your dive)....followed by your wearing a one man life raft :)

Well, I have a pair, and mine are doubled. They weigh a bloody ton, and, what are you going to do with that much gas? Seems to me, that's enough gas to get you in serious trouble, but not enough to get yourself out again. I got mine because someone gave them to me, and I've never used them. There isn't any depth I want to go to that I can't safely reach in 120's, but I like 100's for the trim. If you really want that much bottom time at extreme depths, buy a rebreather.

On the other hand, if you like those heavy things, more power to you. There is a reason, however, they aren't very popular.

At $250 they go in the category of "unsuitable gear you buy anyhow because its cheap then hate every time you use them".

They are hellishly heavy, and tail heavy especially due to the extra thick spun weld bottom. And the oddball just-over-3000 fill pressure means you'd often get short fills.

BTW I think these might be 3AA tanks, like the 190s, which Heiser never bothered to plus rate , but are eligible for the plus if you can find the REE, which would bring to fill pressure up to 3500. Heiser sent me the REE for the 190s a while back, so they exist.

With a modest overfill they might make a nice mini or portable cascade for refilling RB bottles, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom