What to do without a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNOW!!??!!?? Its only the 17th of November!! Its not supposed to snow untill the 21st of December!! Gosh I hate Kentucky weather!!
- A J

and the Snow....made for an interesting weekend. By the way, I was diving a 6.5 mil john/shorty combo. the water was pretty warm (54 down to 48)...but the pain was in-between dives. It was in the mid 30's when we got in for our second dive. That was the real drag...

As for diving wet, I'd do it almost anytime, but I believe my full suit isn't coming back out of storage until sometime in April. I am definetly going to be looking in the direction of a dry suit, but need to accru some financial amends before going down that avenue.

The first year I was diving I extended my season here in Ohio, by doing the following......

1) Suit up in a heated building

2) get out of the suit on sits, get to a heated building, and put on a stocking hat.

3) Bring a cooler of hot water, or a thermos of hot water to pour inside all neoprene before the second and third dive. Warm neoprene is much more comfortable that COLD neoprene.

4) (I never actually did this, but I KNOW it would help ton) seal all glove to suit and suit to boot seams with duct tape. Then fill the suit with warm or hot water. Then dunk your hood into hot water.

5) Don't make the wrong decision like I did that first year. I did the third dive, and after a hour ride home in a warm vehicle, in warm clothes,I was still so cold I could barey walk up the three steps to get into my house.

Hypothermia is a cumulative process, don't push it.

6) Although I now dive dry with my DUI, If I were today looking to buy a drysuit, I would be sending a PM to Bob 3 from this board, and ordering a Viking extreme... Don't worry about the undergarmet, use several pairs of decent long underwear, you can worry about the undergarmet later.

HTH,

Dave

I wish i could swing the cost of a drysuit. I am afriad it will be several years before I can afford one, and hopefully I won't need one then (Hawaii here I come).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom