Dry Suit Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanApricot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New diver here, I finished my open water certification late last summer and a huge limiting factor I have right now for getting more experience is my location/the weather (I live in Chicago). I'd like to be able to dive Lake Michigan but I think a lot of people locally here use dry suits and it seems like it would probably be the best option for me too because I get cold easily. How much experience should I get before moving forward with a dry suit certification? Does anyone dive Lake Michigan with a wet suit in the summer?

New diver here, I finished my open water certification late last summer and a huge limiting factor I have right now for getting more experience is my location/the weather (I live in Chicago). I'd like to be able to dive Lake Michigan but I think a lot of people locally here use dry suits and it seems like it would probably be the best option for me too because I get cold easily. How much experience should I get before moving forward with a dry suit certification? Does anyone dive Lake Michigan with a wet suit in the summer?
I did OW and drysuit at the same time. I’ve done the shallow southern Lake Michigan wrecks a lot in the past. You can easily do them in a good 7mm or semi dry wet suit. Layering is key. Neoprene socks, good gloves, good hood, vest under wetsuit.

I have a high tolerance for cold though, but lots of people do Great Lakes diving wet. If you want to go deeper, you need to dive dry.

No need to wait to move to a dry suit... I'd also recommend getting with a local shop and spending pool time with the suit until it warms up.

That will get you through the "I have to think about everything before I do it and I don't have muscle memory" phase of learning that everyone goes through when they learn to dive (and when they learn to dive a dry suit).

@Marie13 Didn't you do some training in Chicago? Any recommendations?

No need to wait to move to a dry suit... I'd also recommend getting with a local shop and spending pool time with the suit until it warms up.

That will get you through the "I have to think about everything before I do it and I don't have muscle memory" phase of learning that everyone goes through when they learn to dive (and when they learn to dive a dry suit).

@Marie13 Didn't you do some training in Chicago? Any recommendations?
My recommendations aren’t local. They’re behind the Cheddar Curtain.

Thank you everyone for all the helpful responses! I'll start looking into places to get certified.

worst advise i ever got was "you need a bunch of dives wet before you consider moving to a dry suit". spent 600 on a double layer wet suit. was never comfortable. hard to get on and off. and you freeze your ass off in bad weather when you are changing at the end of a dive.
found a used neoprene drysuit a friend was selling for like 200 bucks (that was 30 years ago lol). what a difference.

Ive had a few students take open water and drysuit at the same time. With proper instruction the learning curve is pretty easy. There are some pretty good suits on the market but most any custom suit will take a few months from time of order to time at your door. So order now and start learning in the spring if you go that way (custom sizing makes things so much nicer). If you’re close to a stock size there are lots of good options but i would say crushed neoprene is great for learning in and easier to repair leaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom