Factory-fit vs aftermarket dry gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, given your aversion, I'm not sure if that is "commendable" or not .... :rofl3:
:cheers:

Well, I did say that if I was doing it now I would go with the Rolok 90s. :wink:

But for folks (like @lexvil 's donee) that have Ultimas, the O-ring change and pre-stretch works pretty well.
I know, I feel bad for my buddy but he’s still using the gloves I put on them, I also giggle a little to myself thinking about him spending a weekend changing the gloves, I’m a baaaad man.

A tip for Ultima. I use bicycle tire levers for changing my glove and it is very similar to change bicycle tire tube. Simply press two tire levers which adjusting O-ring with your palm, and push/silde O-ring by thumbs. If your hand cannot fully cover the levers, a small wood block may be helpful.
That sounds like a workout🤣

I like the Ultimas but loading R90's without tools, in under 3 min is next level.

I wish I had thought of the bike tools. I have some in the garage. Once you learn the trick to installing Ultimas, it's not so bad, but Rolock90s are much easier.

So my LDS is telling me that the Antares option will come with QCS ovals which I can fit aftermarket Ultimas to, but the Ultima option will come with "Ultima rings" that will be much bulkier when the glove system is removed. Is that right? I thought Ultimas used the same QCS ovals, Waterproof just call them something different. Can anyone clear this up?

The ring that is installed in the suit is a Sitech PU ring. It is flexible so it can accommodate the Anteras, the Ultimas, or the Rolock 90's

The ring is oval with the Anteras and round with the other 2.. so essentially it would feel slightly better (because it's oval) with the Anteras.. but you couldn't pay me to use the Anteras system.

If you're that worried about the bulk then Kubi might be the answer, I think they're somewhat less bulky? Shhh... just don't tell @Boarderguy I said that:) I can measure the Ultimas and the R90's later, maybe he can chime in with the Kubi's

@rob.mwpropane
Suit side with 90mm rings is about 110-115 mm based on this pic I have with a flacid tape measure. I'll go get an OD measurement when I get home.
20240323_102330.jpg

Maybe see if you can get the suit with just the QCS Oval replaceable seal system.

Then buy Rolok 90 (or Ultimas, or Antares). The installation of the dryglove system into the QCS, inplace of the seal retainer ring, is easy - same as changing the seals.

The Ultimas are great, but trying to load them is a real challenge. I just had a leaky glove on Sat, in full gear I was able to swap my glove out without any tools at all with a set of Rolock 90's... I could not do that with my Ultimas.
I've had the opposite experience; I can easily change out my gloves with Ultima rings, but once I have gloves installed in the Rolock 90s, they're IN THERE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom