Factory-fit vs aftermarket dry gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK thanks all- I think qcs ovals are the way to go. I didn't realise you can take out the glove adaptor ring and just leave the qcs, which is much smaller and lighter than my viking cuffs. My lds stocks ultimas and I will find some rolocks to compare. Appreciate the input!

The Antaries are ok but at the bottom of the list, I used them for a long time and never broke a clip but it possible and unless someone gives them to you it’s better to put the money toward a much better system.

I would get Ultima among the three options. You can use it with or without dry gloves easily. When I ordered my drysuit, I always cut 1-2 cm from the measurements of my arms to compensate the length of the dryglove ring. At least that's what I did with all my Santi suits and this trick worked well for me.

I would get Ultima among the three options. You can use it with or without dry gloves easily. When I ordered my drysuit, I always cut 1-2 cm from the measurements of my arms to compensate the length of the dryglove ring. At least that's what I did with all my Santi suits and this trick worked well for me.

The Ultimas are great, but trying to load them is a real challenge. I just had a leaky glove on Sat, in full gear I was able to swap my glove out without any tools at all with a set of Rolock 90's... I could not do that with my Ultimas.

The Ultimas are great, but trying to load them is a real challenge. I just had a leaky glove on Sat, in full gear I was able to swap my glove out without any tools at all with a set of Rolock 90's... I could not do that with my Ultimas.
Store your replacement gloves, just stretched over your assembled glove/ring and use the slightly larger O-rings that was settled on in SeaJay's thread. Damn, I miss his posts! (ETA: Looking back I see that it wasn't started by him, but he sure did move it forward!)

Here is my original post on it:
This may have been covered somewhere in the last 1200 posts, but I discovered a helpful tip for loading the gloves.

I loaded 720s onto my original set or rings with lots of warming, stretching, cursing, stretching, some more cursing - you get the picture. But I was new to it, no jig or anything, so par for the course and I got them on.

Then I picked up a used set of Ultima rings to use for a second set of gloves and decided to use the 3416s. I started down the loading path - warming, stretching, cursing - and I decided that I had time and didn't need to get all sore and frustrated. I figured that I could use the outer band of the glove ring to stretch the glove and I put the O-ring on the ring to help it pre-stretch. I aligned the widest part of the ring to where I wanted the eventual fold line to be then let it sit (actually I put it away out of sight since I was off season) like this ...

View attachment 654696

I forgot to take a picture after removing the gloves, but there was a noticeably stretched band on the glove and loading seemed to go much better. I expect next time, when I have the 341 O-rings as well, it should be an easy task.

I now have my backup set of unmounted 720s stretched over the loaded rings in storage in case I have to change them in the field.

Store your replacement gloves, just stretched over your assembled glove/ring and use the slightly larger O-rings that was settled on in SeaJay's thread. Damn, I miss his posts! (ETA: Looking back I see that it wasn't started by him, but he sure did move it forward!)

Or give them to someone which is what I did once I tried RoLock.

I used to mention @Zef 's oring, but with R90's being easier to load out of the box I just say get them instead.

The Ultimas were great for me, right up until I found the R90's. The only con that I can think of is they have a break in period and they have to be cleaned more often.. but I haven't even done that in a while, so maybe mine are just broken in now.

Or give them to someone which is what I did once I tried RoLock.

Well, given your aversion, I'm not sure if that is "commendable" or not .... :rofl3:
:cheers:

I used to mention @Zef 's oring, but with R90's being easier to load out of the box I just say get them instead.

The Ultimas were great for me, right up until I found the R90's. The only con that I can think of is they have a break in period and they have to be cleaned more often.. but I haven't even done that in a while, so maybe mine are just broken in now.

Well, I did say that if I was doing it now I would go with the Rolok 90s. :wink:

But for folks (like @lexvil 's donee) that have Ultimas, the O-ring change and pre-stretch works pretty well.

A tip for Ultima. I use bicycle tire levers for changing my glove and it is very similar to change bicycle tire tube. Simply press two tire levers which adjusting O-ring with your palm, and push/silde O-ring by thumbs. If your hand cannot fully cover the levers, a small wood block may be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom