What to get, please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJay32

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im looking to move forward in the world of underwater photography. I currently have a canon SD870 with a canon underwater housing. I only have about $700-$900 to spend and im thinking my money would be best spent in lighting and later upgrading the camera and housing. What do all of you think of this lighting setup to start. ???

Ikelite Tray with Dual Release Handles for Olympus, Canon or Other Housing ... more info
MFR #9523.02 B&H #IK9523.02
Ikelite | Tray with Release Handle | 9523.02 | B&H Photo Video
* Strobe Head
* Exposure Value Manual Controller
* Deluxe Ball Socket Strobe Arm
* Diffuser
* 2 Year Warranty

Ikelite 3944.54 Substrobe DS-51 Kit for Digital Still Cameras with Exposure Value Manual Controller and Deluxe Ball Socket Strobe Arm - Rated up to 300'
MFR #3944.54 B&H #IK3944.54
Ikelite | 3944.54 Substrobe DS-51 w/ Exposure Value | 3944.54

and some backup orings
Ikelite O-Ring (Replacement)

Ikelite Silicone Lubricant Tube

Ikelite Silicone Lubricant (4) 1cc Tubes more info

Ikelite O-Ring (Replacement)

Ikelite O-Ring for Substrobes 50, 50s, AQ/S, M, MS & MV (Replacement) more info

total ~$780 shipped

please let me know if you think im making the right move
-Nick

When I first started, I had (still have as a backup) a Canon A630. I ended up getting an Ikelite Housing and Ikelite DS125 Substrobe for it. The strobe made all the difference in the world I think.

Having said that, there was definitely a learning curve with the manual controller :) Every exposure had to be figured manually. The cameras flash (almost worthless, which you already know) triggered the DS125 via the controller.

It might almost be better to go with the AF35 from Ikelite which retails from Helix for $398.95

AF35 4035.1 Autoflash - Ikelite Underwater Photography - Helix Camera & Video

If you get the primary and secondary flash kits, you'll have dual flashes for just under $800 bucks. The drawback is that it works only on point and shoots. Something to consider though. IMHO if you go with the DS51 and then later upgrade to a DSLR, you're going to want to upgrade your strobe also :wink: You can always sell your strobes or the whole outfit for that matter, later when you're ready to upgrade.

Helix will also give you free shipping in the US. Email Laura at laura@helix.com She takes care of internet sales.

Just my two yen's worth :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom