what to look for in lift bag & reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I already have an smb and a finger spool. I am thinking of a lift bag and a reel. what do I look for in a bag and reel. there are so many reels out there, antifouling,drag option,ratcheting,handle variations. can anyone explain to me what seems to work best for them. I could use it for picking up lost weight belts etc when I am @ depthand...I plan to get my advanced nitrox and deco procedures in the near future and these are required for the course. I was told get about 2x whatever deepest depth you'll be at for line length to compensate for drifting bag on the surface. How do you attach reel and lift bag to you? My smb and reel are behind me on a d-ring and in a pouch between me and tank. what #rating would be adequate?
Les

In a bag look for something around 50 or 100 pounds of lift. I am partial to the dive rite style. Anything thought that is a semi closed style of bag will work well. I would stay away from anything that requires you to remove your inflator hose to fill the bag.

As far as reels I would stay away from anything that ratchets or has a trigger you have to hold to let line out with. I am a big fan of the halcyon and salvo reels. I sell the salvo reels and they are virtually identical to the haycon except they are lighter in weight. I like a reel that has a closed handle like a goodman handle better than I do the dive rite reels. The closed handle style allows you to hang it off the back of your hand and out of the way while you work with the lift bag and get it ready to fill.

I generally clip the reel to my rear d ring and have the lift bag attached to a pouch on on the bottom of my plate.

Brent

doppler had a good writeup on reels that he used for his class and posted on TDS a year or so ago...

Les:
I already have an smb and a finger spool. I am thinking of a lift bag and a reel. what do I look for in a bag and reel. there are so many reels out there, antifouling,drag option,ratcheting,handle variations. can anyone explain to me what seems to work best for them. I could use it for picking up lost weight belts etc when I am @ depthand...I plan to get my advanced nitrox and deco procedures in the near future and these are required for the course. I was told get about 2x whatever deepest depth you'll be at for line length to compensate for drifting bag on the surface. How do you attach reel and lift bag to you? My smb and reel are behind me on a d-ring and in a pouch between me and tank. what #rating would be adequate?
Les

Les,

We manufacture a variety of reels from our popular Jr to the CR 1. Visit our website, www.mantaindustries.com for all information. We also have a series of lift bags with 100lb lift. Our Jr is the most user friendly on the market.

It you have any questions let me know.

It you have any questions let me know.

Thanks - Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom