Question What to mount on dual flip adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own a Nikon D850 DSLR with a Sea & Sea housing, taking pictures with either a 60mm or 105mm lens (I mostly use the 105). I wanted a flip adapter for my macro port but the single was out of stock, and they gave me a great deal on a Saga dual 67mm flip adapter. I already have a SubSee +10 diopter and would like some ideas for what else to mount on the empty flip adapter.

I was thinking I could buy a nice glass red filter if I wanted to take video, but a really good photo/video buddy said he corrects everything in white balance. I have video lights, so it makes sense that a red filter wouldn't be needed. I was thinking a +5 diopter, is it really necessary though to have a +5 and +10? Is there much of a difference? Another thought, a yellow lens with a blackout light to capture things which glow at night, not sure if my strobes would wash that out though.

What accessories do you guys mount your dual flip adapter?

Kraken +23

They're identical; Weefine is the manufacturer, Kraken Sports is the North American reseller.

A +5/+10 setup is typically used to shoot macro with a non-macro lens, as a +10 has a shorter maximum focus distance than the minimum focus distance on the bare lens, and a +5 fills that hole. You're already using a macro lens, so there is no need for that.

A yellow filter doesn't work on its own, you would need excitation filters on the strobes as well, Fluorescence Excitation Filters - NIGHTSEA

The only real choice is a stronger diopter for the really really tiny stuff - Kraken/Weefine 06S +23, or Noodilab Moby, or Nauticam SMC-2. They're all really difficult to use though - depth of field is razor-thin, and sharp focus is hard to achieve.

Back
Top Bottom