what type of BCD for a young wanna-be diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sujo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We just got our 8 yr old grand daughter into the PADI Bubble makers course. She seems to love it and seems to be a natural. We would like to get her a BCD, one that would grow with her as she grows. She might be 55-60 pounds and will probably stay small as she is very active. I have heard about the Dive Right teen program and Oceanic teen BCD, have also been recommended that we look into the BP and wing. Any advice for or against would be appreciated

May be a little young for BP/W. It takes a lot of finesse to get the buoyancy down, something she may not have yet. Not even sure harnesses are made that small. Can't advise on a BCD that "would grow with her as she grows". Probably won't find clothes that grow with her as she grows either. I'd go with a normal BCD and expect to replace it every few years...

May be a little young for BP/W. It takes a lot of finesse to get the buoyancy down, something she may not have yet. Not even sure harnesses are made that small. Can't advise on a BCD that "would grow with her as she grows". Probably won't find clothes that grow with her as she grows either. I'd go with a normal BCD and expect to replace it every few years...

How exactly is managing buoyancy with a bp/w different than with a jacket?

Check out DiveRite's Youth Program with FREE upsizing
Scuba Diving Gear for Children, Teens and Kids by Dive Rite
Free Upgrade Program

If you are a diving family, you know how hard it can be to fit your kids in rental equipment. Yet, it's expensive to purchase a quality BCD when you know your child will quickly outgrow it.
Dive Rite has a solution to make diving more comfortable for kids, while helping mom and dad's budget. Introducing the Dive Rite Youth Program, where you never outgrow your BCD.
This FREE upgrade program is available with the purchase of any VoyagerPac or TravelPac BCD. As your child grows, Dive Rite will send you new, longer shoulders, which is all you'll need to lengthen the straps to fit your child's growing stature.
You'll need to register the TravelPac or VoyagerPac in your child's name at the time of purchase and keep your receipt. When it's time to upgrade, simply send us an email to Support@DiveRite.com and have your child write a few words about what they like about diving. Pics are awesome, too!
With your permission, select stories and photos will be displayed on our website to show off your kid's diving spirit.

Whether you go with their "soft" backplate styles like the TravelPac, they also make a short simple AL backplate with a small wing, then all you need is a few feet of replacement webbing every couple years.

I agree BP/W is what I put my son in when he was 10. He is 16 now and still diving the kit. we are looking at getting a bigger wing. we have made a number of harness adjustments, but that's it. He has always loved it and he has better buoyancy control than most of the divers we see.

Here is the back plate you need: Ultra Lite Travel Plate *Pink* : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment

Then add this wing: 18# MACH V Chroma Series *Pink* : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment

You can probably even find pink webbing. As she grows older and bigger, you (someone) may want to replace the webbing. I use that plate and a similar wing, and I weigh about 220. OK, they did not have it in pink when I bought mine.

Back
Top Bottom