What type of gear are you wearing this January to keep you warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Temps are awful here in the winter. 72-75F down to 120'-150' or so (thermocline varies greatly) and mid-upper 60s below that. :rofl3:
That was my first thought when I read Florida, but I've never been there so don't know :D

My guess would be that @grantctobin is answering for the Chicago area. When I lived in the Midwest I would wear that in the winter. Water temps there are in the upper 30s to low 40s F.
That sounds a lot more like around my neck of the woods, nice and chilly :)

Temps are awful here in the winter. 72-75F down to 120'-150' or so (thermocline varies greatly) and mid-upper 60s below that. :rofl3:

My guess would be that @grantctobin is answering for the Chicago area. When I lived in the Midwest I would wear that in the winter. Water temps there are in the upper 30s to low 40s F.
No, that’s what I wear for long exposures in FL springs at ~21°OP didn’t ask where in FL and for what duration.

Ocean in SE FL during the coldest months, 7 mm full suit and a 5/3 mm hooded vest. Of course my TruWest boat coat.

No, that’s what I wear for long exposures in FL springs at ~21°OP didn’t ask where in FL and for what duration.

The springs are 72 F. Those have to be some LOOOOONG dives! :wink:

What kind of temps can I expect in February?

My one and only March trip had temps 66 to 68. I plan to bring MY drysuit but not sure how I will properly hunt bugs.

Curious what are you wearing to keep you warm in Florida during your dives?

What type of gear are you wearing this January to keep you warm?

Being from Northern California with brisk 10˚C waters during Winter, I honestly thought that the question was a gag; though, I have frequently dove in Florida -- bath -- waters, this time of year, in either simply swim trunks and a dive skin; or, at the most, a 3 mm surf suit . . .

Being from Northern California with brisk 10˚C waters during Winter, I thought that the question was a bit of a gag; though, I have frequently dove in Florida waters -- bath water -- this time of year, in either just swim trunks and dive skin; or, at the most, a 3 mm surf suit . . .
To each, their own

Ohhhhhh! Underwater would be this

full.jpg

Being from Northern California with brisk 10˚C waters during Winter, I honestly thought that the question was a gag; though, I have frequently dove in Florida -- bath -- waters, this time of year, in either simply swim trunks and a dive skin; or, at the most, a 3 mm surf suit . . .

To each, their own

To each their own indeed. I choose to be warm and comfortable. The vast majority of tourists I see down here diving in dive skins or 3mm suits in the winter are ABSOLUTELY FREEZING by the start of the 2nd dive. Literal teeth chattering. You don't get extra points for being "macho". Spend an hour in 72-75 F water without enough insulation and it will zap the heat out of all but the most "cold blooded" divers.

To each their own indeed. I choose to be warm and comfortable. The vast majority of tourists I see down here diving in dive skins or 3mm suits in the winter are ABSOLUTELY FREEZING by the start of the 2nd dive. Literal teeth chattering. You don't get extra points for being "macho". Spend an hour in 72-75 F water without enough insulation and it will zap the heat out of all but the most "cold blooded" divers.

I simply run on the warmer side and generally prefer colder weather and water than Planet Florida has to offer; and when I first jumped off a boat in Jupiter in that December or January, I honestly thought that I had experienced a medical emergency, the water was that shockingly warm, to me, upon entry. I had to loosen my collar and allow more water to enter my suit.

An almost thirty degree difference from California, from just a few days before, will do that to you, where we would typically be using a 7 mm or a drysuit.

Most everyone, including myself, were sporting 3 mm surf suits; and everyone, so far as I could tell, appeared comfortable, during the multiple dives, My last one was with a dive skin and swim trunks and was one of my fondest memories -- caught some sizable bugs . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom