What type of weight belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unless you are using a "la-di-da" soft weight arrangement
a belt is simply webbing with a buckle and some lead.

'tis the buckle that be the heart and soul. Just say NO to
cheezy buckles.

I don't know who made my belt. it cost about $30 and I really like it. it just has two zippered pockets on individual half belt things with an adjustable connection in the back and a traditional buckle in the front. The two big pockets are great because they will accept both hard and soft weights, depending on whats availible. The only problem with it was that the pockets were partitioned into 3 segments, but 10 minutes with a pocket knife and that was fixed.

I have a nylon weight belt that accepts softweights. It's partitioned and each partition will hold a 5lb. soft weight pouch. The top of the belt has a zipper that runs the whole length of the belt to secure in the weights. I don't really use it though, I usually use integrated weights but it's a decent weight belt though.

Originally posted by GP
I have a nylon weight belt that accepts softweights. It's partitioned and each partition will hold a 5lb. soft weight pouch. The top of the belt has a zipper that runs the whole length of the belt to secure in the weights. I don't really use it though, I usually use integrated weights but it's a decent weight belt though.

Sounds like I have the twin to GPs belt. Mine is black cordura(sp) nylon and it cost me about $25. I have a weight integrated BC, but I like having the option of of "either/or".

kd4rfa

You might want to look at Uncle Pug's thread in here entitled "New Comfortable Weightbelt". I had them send me the webpage address and it does look comfortable and well-made.

6 pocket cordura/mesh belt with single zipper and SS buckle. I use hard weights on trips and soft weights at home. Weights in front 2 pockets unless diving strong river current when I use front 4 pockes to get real negative. Back 2 pockets store buddy line and el cheapo see-me sausage. Only thing that would make it a bit better would be individual pocket closures but I decided that the Scubapro belt just wasn't worth the extra $$$$$$$$$$. Can't see any reason yet to go weight integrated. I like the belt for extra storage & comfort.

The best weight belt system I have ever tried is one made by a company in South Africa called Bright Weights. They are also sold in the USA, I think through a company in Florida, although they are sometimes hard to find. You can also get a whole system, which includes ankle weights and tank weights, and I like all of them a lot.

The weight belt (as well as the ankle weights) is made of nylon webbing, but instead of threading the weights onto the belt, there are loops that you put their weights through. This makes it easy to add or remove weights, without having to take apart and rethread the belt, so it's fast & easy. The belt uses a stainless steel buckle, and you ditch the belt the same as any other. The weights themselves are short little cylinders, and the way they are set up makes them really comfortable, even though they are hard weights. The weights are epoxy-coated, so they don't leach lead oxide into the environment or onto you. The separate tank weight system is also nice because it also functions as a tank carrier, and keeps the tank from rolling around when you lay it down.

I have one, but like I said, they are hard to find. It took me quite a long time to get one, and I ended up buying one from another individual (don't know where they got it), not through a store. Rodale's gave them a great review, which I completely agree with, so if you're interested, maybe they can tell you where to get one.

I really love this belt, it's all around the best one I've seen -- but the weights are in metric. Converting the metric weights into pounds is not too hard, though. (1 kg = 2.2 lbs)

Just so you know, I am in no way affiliated with this company or any store that sells them (like I said, I had a hard time finding them.) I just think it's a really great weight belt system because it's much more comfortable than hard weights, much easier to deal with, and much more adjustable and environmentally sound than soft weights.

otter-cat:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom