What types of lights do you find useful in Lanier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been thinking about getting a more powerful light - i.e., a cannister style design (specifically, an overvolted Halogen from Nocturnal Lights). Really though, the only time I know I would use it would be for a small number of fossil collecting dives each year in the Cooper River. As such, I'm hesitating given the cost. The only other use I could foresee (I'm not into caving or wrecks) is if I start diving local mudholes, which I would in fact like to do, particularly if I splurge later this year for a drysuit. So I'm wondering what kind of lights you guys have found useful while diving Lanier or similar areas.

Thanks for your input.

DL,

Just like any gaggle of divers, we use a vast array of lights.

My primary is a Light Cannon, my back up is a small UK.

KylePReid uses a home built HID (he did a great job, by the way) as does Corigan.

The thing about Lanier is that when you get down around 60' or deeper, it almost becomes a night dive.

Bright is right !!!!

the K

As far as I am concerned, HID or dive with someone that has one.

I use a 10W OMS Phantom. 4.5 hours & small. I think it is a great all around light.

and lanier is ...dark........

10w DR MR11 slimline is what I dive. I really like it. You can never have too much light. I do like how it keeps things dark though. It doesn't totally light up everything in view so you still have that feeling of being in a dark place. The light works great in caves too! :)

Matt

The Kraken:
KylePReid uses a home built HID (he did a great job, by the way)

the K

Actually the one I built is a halogen 35 watt, It is almost the same dimensions as the slimline Matt dives, due to the fact I pulled all the measurements off of his canister, but built it for right around $100.00. I found a guy selling a setup on ebay that had the big battery canister, the one that holds a 12v motorcycle battery, and it had a good light head that had a 50 watt bulb in it. I got it from him for $50.00. So all I had to really do was build a canister and a battery pack, which I did with a cast acrylic cylinder and some hardware for pretty cheap. I got the batterys from a supplier online and made the battery pack to fit the canister. The battery pack cost around $25.00 and they are NiMh. If you price out a replacement battery pack for Matts slimline it runs around $110.00. I want to try and build a HID light head so that the battery pack last a little longer, because right now I can only get about an hour out of it since im running a 35 watt bulb. All in all im pleased with it, but I would like to do some modifications to make it a little better. Im not sure if you like to build things or not, but if you want to get together and make a DYI light, I would be more than happy to help.

Kyle

The Kraken:
DL,

Just like any gaggle of divers, we use a vast array of lights.

My primary is a Light Cannon, my back up is a small UK.

KylePReid uses a home built HID (he did a great job, by the way) as does Corigan.

The thing about Lanier is that when you get down around 60' or deeper, it almost becomes a night dive.

Bright is right !!!!

the K

Especially if they work...:D

I dive at Lake Thurmond (Clark Hill Lake to Georgians) near Augusta. I beleive that we have a similiar bottom compsition to Lanier, though Lanier may have a little better vis. For Lake diving (aka particulate diving) we generally go with less rather than more. Particles in the water give backscatter and to big a light often means less useful vis IIMHO. Our group tends to embrace the dark. A gentle descent allowing your eyes to adjust (night vision) can often make for a more enjoyable dive. This past weekend we were diving to 100' with no light and loving it. Of course this is not for everyone. We did turn on our lights at 100' briefly, but I found the particles in the water reflected too much light and really reduced the overall vis. No, we haven't totally gone over to the dark side, but we appreciate a minimalist approach. Lights I carry include a Princeton Tec 40 (4 watt $9.95 on line) and for ocean diving without all the particulates in the water a 7.5 w Princeton Tec Surge (it takes 8AAs, but I use rechargeable anyway and it is a lot of light in a small package). Besides, I have learned, the large shark with conical shaped teeth for ripping and shreading are exactly 180 degrees from the beam of your light anyway :)

HI DLWALKE,

THanks for considering our products. If you have any questions feel free to ask me :) We have a divelight buying guide on our website that will help you understand more about our products and it should be very helpful with your purchase decision. Make sure you check it out!

I believe the correct answer would be "Nothing works great in Lanier" Dark and ugly...:banghead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom