what weight belt to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flamebug818

Reaction score
Southern california all ways want a dive buddy
# of dives
50 - 99
high i am relativly new to scuba and was wondering what weight belt to get i dive in southern california 55-75 degree water with 7mm wet suit 6.5 mm boot's and somtimes 3mm hood and gloves i way about 185 and am 6'2 what type of weight belt should i get? i dive with it over my croch strap
jst fyi
thanks

I just use standard 2" webbing with a trident buckle. For weight pockets I use 2 X-Scuba weight pockets which will easily hold up to a 5lb soft weight. I went with yellow webbing just to make it stand out from the harness webbing which is black.

You should get a weight belt made out of nylon webbing with a steel buckel. Use lead weights. Gold, while almost as dense as lead, is "slightly" more expensive and not a good alternative.

As for how much lead you will figure out a rough estimate in your OW class. Typically you will be overweighted in OW class so you can use less lead with more experiance.

I currently own both, molded lead, and shot weights, which I use for different purposes. Molded lead for lobster hunting when I am free diving, and lead shot weights for when I want to stay underwater beyond one breath. For all scuba diving needs, I would recommend a webbing with a steel buckle and soft weight pouches. If you plan on doing any boat dives, the lead shot is safer overall, and if accidentally dropped, won't break bones or fiberglass. Also, if you ever plan on purchasing a weight integrated BC, the lead shot weights will be more comfortable for you.

I'm using a rubber belt with a stainless wire type buckle.
This belt is easy to don/doff and stays put.
Traditional type belts always seemed to sag on me and the bag style ones were the worst for me.
I'd stay away from any plastic buckle.
YMMV

yo, Flamebug

I use two: a pouch-type belt when I'm either in trunks or my 3mm shorty (about 80% of my diving); and a regular old web belt with coated, molded weights when diving in my 6.5mm fullsuit-hood-etc.

The pouch thingy is kind of slippery against my wetsuit, on top of the usual compression issues, so I have to adjust it more than I imagine I'm supposed to, and it won't hold nearly as much weight as a webby, but loaded with lead-shot bags it sure is a heck of a lot comfier than those molded weights. Overall it works out for me okay. For your kind of diving, my roughly analagous experience recommends a web belt.

cheers

Billy S.

One of my first scuba buys was the DUI Weight and Trim system (less than $100). I drysuit dive in the Pacific Northwest, so lots of weight is occasionally necessary, but then it is needed as well with 7mm suits wherever you dive.

The Two velcro closures will take up to 40lbs of weight, but most importantly -to or me at least - the suspenders keep the thing from falling off when I waddle off into or out of the water. The positioning of the weights is also excellent and small adjustments are easy to make.

Release via two large handles is easy, although you do have to reattach the weight pockets if you pull the weights. That takes about 5 min.

I'm a fan of said wire buckles too, they're very secure & yet easy to unlatch.
The Marseillaise style belts, again with the rubber instead of nylon, are also a good choice.
I like using the bullet weights, makes for a very trim sleek arrangement.
You can also use said rig for freediving.
Take a look-see at http://comdive.scubastore.com under "accessories", then "belts".

I've been wondering about a belt for my shallow freediving in springs & rivers, and every now and then in the sponge beds off Crystal River. Water temperature is 70-82 or so, and there is a local dive shop within 20 minutes of my house. Any suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom