What wetsuit for the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THRILLSEEKER

Reaction score
Anyone have a good reccomendation for a wetsuit for the Fl. Keys in the winter months?

Mind you Im a scrawny puzzy when it comes to cold.:D

It's not THAT cold down here...a 5 mil (maybe with a hood if you are really prone to cold) should keep you plenty warm!

Send me a PM if you have questions about Keys operators/hotels/restaurants, etc. I'm glad to help you out and no, I don't work for a dive shop.

I use a 3 mil most year round around here (south FL), a 5 or 7 mil when in northern FL springs. Being from Ohio, I wouldn't think you would need anything more than a 3 or 5 mil. Do you have a farmer Jane that you could slip over to provide extra warmth when needed? Or, as abskw mentioned, a hood would help conserve warmth also. When are you planning on coming down?

Il be down in a few weeks, Ive done plenty of diving down there but have always rented a wet suit and never paid attention to what it was. As many times as I have paid to rent one I could have bought a few.

Thanks guys.

Hey Thrillseeker,

The water is hanging right around 78. We're diving full 5mil with a hood which keeps us warm enough. When it hits 75 we break out the dry suits. We're warm water wimps down here.

Good Diving/Hunting,

Did you get your wetsuit yet? If you know your size, there's a lot of good bargains on the internet, and you could even get varying thicknesses to use when conditions warrant a thicker or thinner suit.

Anyone have a good reccomendation for a wetsuit for the Fl. Keys in the winter months?

Mind you Im a scrawny puzzy when it comes to cold.:D

a full 3 mm(possibly just a shortie) with an additional chicken hood & you should be fine--that would cover you down to the mid 70 degree water temp.............

Unless you get cold easily, a 3/2 should be enough in the winter (approximately mid November through mid May) and a swim suit is plenty in the summer (the other 6 months).

Depends on when and where. I've used 5 mil and a polartech(equiv to a 3 mil but with no added buoyancy) and been fine with up to 5 dives a day on the 5 and three on the PT. That was in Key Largo and Tavernier. The 5 was in the first part of may with temps around 78-80, the PT mid may with temps of about 80-82. I have dove my 5 down to about 68 but after that it's dry suit.

Thanks for the reccomendations, I ordered a full 3mil this morning. Pretty sure thats what Ive rented most of the time in the past.

Dry suits in SoFla!, man I thought I was a puzzy. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom