What would you buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't get a drysuit and undergarments for $1000 without taking a risk by buying on eBay. But you can get an excellent wetsuit: AquaLung SolaFX one-piece. While, at $500, it's a lot more than the 2 piece Farmer John's, it is a semi-dry suit that works very well at Monterey. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and I just love it.

The new Henderson wetsuits are < $300 and quite good: Henderson 7mm Thermoprene 2-Piece Wetsuit

If things are really tight, the Edge wetsuit at $150 is workable Edge Men's 7mm Monterey Wetsuit

I would skip the entire BCD experience and go to Deep Sea Supply for a BP/W. With tax and freight - $600.

You can also look at the Edge Epic Regulator Set < $300 for the regulator and octo. Edge Epic Balanced Regulator Set w/Octopus and Bag

You will need to add some kind of console. Omit the computer for now and look at Edge Precision 3 Nav/Console $140.

So, if you go with the Henderson wetsuit, the DSS BP/W and the Edge regulator, you are right around $1350. A little less with the Edge wetsuit - $1200. You can always buy the $600 regulator and $450 computer later on.

I have completely overlooked the weight belt/harness. I recommend DUI Weight & Trim "Classic" Weight Harness System Weights are extra. You will need to decide how much weight to add (get at least 20#) and the amount will depend on the tanks you rent.

With a submersible wrist watch and dive tables (square profile), you are ready to go diving. But it's still around $1500.

Richard

Oh, you can have the environmental kit added to the Epic regulator for about $30 at Dolphin. This is probably not REQUIRED for Monterey but it is probably a good idea.

Richard

I got a BC first in the interest of "saving" money; I tried to get one of the more expensive things to rent because I only had enough money for one major piece of gear. Turns out the regulator (or was it the computer...) was more expensive to rent but the BC is something that you won't need the shop to hook-up for you (such as your computer to their first stage, or visa versa). Of course I got the i3 which has its own damn hose so I have to have them hook it up to the rental gear anyway.

I'm new here but I assume this question has been asked several times alright. Hopefully, I'll be specific enough so it makes it kind of interesting.

I recently completed my open water course. I'm hooked and figured that I should get some equipment instead of renting it. I live in San Francisco. I imagine that I'll make 5 to 10 trips a year to Monterey and other places on the west coast. The water temperature is around 55 degrees. I'll also probably make 2 trips a year to tropical locations. I have a trip to Monterey planned in 2 weeks and a trip to Hawaii planned in 4 weeks.

My budget is $1000 to $1500. Prefer to stay closer to $1000.

What I need:
BCD or BP&W
regulator
octo
computer
wetsuit
???

What I have:
mask
snorkel
fins
gloves
boots

I'm 5'8", 160#. Average build.

So what would you buy if you were in my position?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,
I was once at the exact same point as you, let me offer you some advice based on my experience. I rushed out and purchased what I thought I wanted at the time, I quckly found out that was a mistake. When I started to get more experience as a diver, my needs and wants changed in the equipment area. This caused me to have to buy another set of gear, actually I fell into the cycle three times. My point here is don't be cheap, but take your time and buy the best you can afford for the type of diving you will be doing. Look around and consider buying used gear, it will save you money.
I primarily dive in caves but I also teach alot of open water divers as well. I personally prefer to use a Transpac or Ranger when diving open water, not a backplate and wing. There is certainly nothing wrong with BP/W(has a loyal following) just not my choice. My suggestion would be to try as many of the bc's out that you possibly can and then make your choice based on that, this includes the other gear as well. Good luck and keep diving.

I'd say buy a good BC (backplate/wing - you can use it for rec and tech), which with Christmas rolling about, you can probably get a setup for around $500. I know that Dive Rite is having a sales special of 15% off for all their products right now through the holiday season. I've seen some discounts on Halcyon and OMS at various SoCal dive stores right now too.

Get the 7-mm wetsuit. For around $300-400 you can keep on diving at Monterey instead of waiting to save up $2000 for a drysuit setup (how long will that take?). 55-degree F is diveable in a wetsuit.

Shop around for refurbished regulator setup (1st stage, second stage, octo, depth& pressure gauges console) from various LDS. I got a set of used but recently serviced reg like that for $200 from a dive store. Dive computers are nice but not necessary. That's why God and everybody else invented dive tables for.

Just remember that a low-end Nitrox computer isn't that expensive (about $300). It's not worth it to spend too much money on a depth gauge and bottom timer since you will almost certainly buy a computer later. Even if you go tech and need redundant depth/time info, that first computer you buy will be able to provide that so the depth gauge and timer still won't be of use.

Of course if you find a good deal on that stuff then by all means you can skip the computer at first.

Although it is tempting for a new diver to run out and buy all sorts of gear for his new hobby, like others I would suggest taking some time to do it. There is nothing wrong with renting different types of gear configurations and seeing what works for you. Also talk with other divers you meet and your instructors and make sure the gear you buy will be appropriate for the type of diving you will be doing.

I rented gear for a full year before I bought my first piece of gear. Then when I did start buying I went slow, one piece at a time and researched and tested every piece of equipment first. This worked well for me as I still use every piece of gear I own.

Patience is key in this sport.

I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. It helped a lot. I tried to be patient and buy things slowly. So, I decided to start with a wetsuit and then things spiraled out of control. :)

There are some local sales going on this weekend in the South Bay that may be interesting to you.

My thought is what bothers you the most when you dive? Then fix it. If it is cold, buy the thermal protection first. If it is the thought of someone abusing the rental reg, then buy that first. In other words, it all has to bought eventually. Buy in a way that keeps you diving.

You been given a wide variety of choices and some good advice so far.
However, here is the reality of new Scuba divers and gear purchases. Save your money and buy your first setup used. (Your first set will end up on eBay anyway.)

Most new divers end up buying a ton of new gear, based mostly on the stuff you local shops sells and or your instructor uses. If you continue diving, you will evolve, become a better diver and soon realize the gear you have does not fit the type of diving you like to do.

Once that realization sets in, then you will know for yourself what gear you like and don't like, who does the local service on it and how the gear fits your unique diving style.

Such is the frequency of recommendations for BackPlates/Wing suggestions from the members of ScubaBoard. Most of the divers that recommend them have already passed that point in their diving life and have settled into a diving style that fits them well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom