What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw a couple of fins at thrift stores but don't know what to make of things.

The first is an old pair of US divers Otarie full foot fins but with a torn heel pocket. Asking price $18??? Someone has been smoking something there. I usually don't pay more than $10 for a divable pair of fins but I am also curious whether those fins might be worth it, collector wise? I can fix the heel tear.

The second was a heart breaker. I spotted an old set of open foot Whites Water Wear fins only to take a closer look and see that they were in fact two different fins. One's a Whites and the other is a Dacor Turbo two. Both are Jet type clones. Asking price $10. Again, I wouldn't ordinarily buy such things but I am also wondering whether it would be worth having them as representative items or in case someone else is ever looking for one fin.

Wondering what other vintage divers/ collectors would do in this type of situation?

I would point out the torn foot pocket on the Otaries and offer no more than $10. It is unlikely they will get any other offers. Myself, I wouldn't pay any more than that. The Otarie was my favorite fin back when they were being produced. Before you buy, feel the rubber. If it feels stiff and kind of oily, the rubber is gone.

_no_thanks.jpg

Plenty of good ones around. Pass on these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom