What would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why shouldn't he check this persons air or inform the dm, operator or whoever was highest on the boat? why should that make him liable for anything? taking responsibility doesn't mean you're upgrading yourself to a dm! especially if those divers where beginners, not certified and prolly had no idea how a air gauge (or whatever it's called in english) works.

the only liability i see is not sticking with your buddy. there was no reason to do that mistake and what if that when wrong?

there is no reason why one should go along with a thing like this. you don't have to dive in an unsafe environment and there's no point in playing the hero if you forget the things you're actually supposed to do.

It seems the consensus is, I was correct to not check his PSI.

Really, had it been someone I'd briefed with before hand, I'd have no problem asking my buddy about air, but this guy was pretty clueless. Remember, he couldn't find his regulator, when he was in the water. When I handed it to him, I told him in no uncertain terms that I was not a divemaster and not affliated with the boat. But later on the boat, he kept asking me about the boats engines and how often it went out.

For some reason it just seemed to me that it wasn't right to take responsibilty for checking on his air. I still stayed close by, in case he or the DM needed any.

Still, it was interesting and I found a flatfish and saw plenty of turtles, and the course the DM layed out was hard to navigate. I think he actually got lost to be honest.

All the other DM on the boat, they were with the snuba people, seemed to be better divers than this one, though he could have simply be having a bad day.

Xanthro

Xanthro:
....snip....

All I'm asking is, would others have asked the second diver about his PSI?

...snip....

You indicated that he was your buddy so the answer is simple....Absolutely!

R..

Back
Top Bottom