What would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro:
In the second on, there were two divers and the DM, so I worked on the assumption that the other diver and I were buddies, and I told him at the surface that I'd stick close to him.

In the second dive, I saw myself as the other divers buddy, and I think I did ok, except I think I should have inquired as to his air.

On my very first dives after being certified - and not knowing any better - I also did a couple of dives with an operation that also did discover scuba on the same trip. I learned real fast from that experience to only do dives with operators whose trips are only for certified diving and not any other activity. I agree with yknot - it wasn't a dive trip, per se - and what you experienced confirms that.

Also, never assume about your buddy situation. You should always make sure that you have a specific buddy - and that person in turn knows that he/she is your buddy. Go through your buddy checks and discuss the plan. Diving in a group is ok, but within that group, make sure you have your buddy.

Sounds like you were diving in a group without a specific buddy - while you assumed or "saw yourself" as someone's buddy, apparently the other person didn't. I've been assigned plenty of buddies that I've never met before - you have to have "the talk" with them beforehand and make sure you're both on the same page before hitting the water.

yknot:
Xanthro- first of all, you didn't go on a dive trip, you went on a snorkle/snuba trip. That's why they were in 20' of water. As this was known from the start, did you really expect anything different? I'm not aware of a boat dive op that won't tell you what the general plan is for the day, such as the amount of divers expected, the dive sites planned for, including depth, if a current is expected, etc. All you have to do is ask. If 90% of divers are once a year, on a vacation type divers, expect 90% of those you just met on a boat to be the same. How can you expect someone you just met and don't know anything about to be a good buddy?

I knew exactly what the dive would be like, I was only there so I could watch my friend Snuba. I had no illusions it would be a great dive for me in the sense of adventure, nor did I expect any other diver to be very good.

All I'm asking is, would others have asked the second diver about his PSI?

I didn't want to present myself as a divemaster or anything of the sort, so I didn't ask.

For me the dive was fine, I got to practice shallow diving and work on navigation is poor visibility, so all was well. I'm not in the least complaining about the dive, or not having a great buddy. I'd solo that dive in a heart beat.

Again, I'm just asking opinions on whether your inquire as to the other divers PSI, or would you leave that to the DM?

Xanthro

chepar:
On my very first dives after being certified - and not knowing any better - I also did a couple of dives with an operation that also did discover scuba on the same trip. I learned real fast from that experience to only do dives with operators whose trips are only for certified diving and not any other activity. I agree with yknot - it wasn't a dive trip, per se - and what you experienced confirms that.

Also, never assume about your buddy situation. You should always make sure that you have a specific buddy - and that person in turn knows that he/she is your buddy. Go through your buddy checks and discuss the plan. Diving in a group is ok, but within that group, make sure you have your buddy.

Sounds like you were diving in a group without a specific buddy - while you assumed or "saw yourself" as someone's buddy, apparently the other person didn't. I've been assigned plenty of buddies that I've never met before - you have to have "the talk" with them beforehand and make sure you're both on the same page before hitting the water.

Everyone is getting a bit off topic here. I'm not saying the outfit was good for diving, they really weren't. I would not recommend a certified diver use them.

The other diver was in the water before anyone else was even kitted up, he was floating away from the boat, I hurried up and got in simply because I knew the DM took forever to get into the water.

I would have NEVER done those dives except I wanted to be there when my friend did Snuba. If I had a friend do discover scuba, I'd be there as well. I really don't mind doing what some may consider a boring dive. To me it is practice time, I still enjoy myself.

There was no opportunity to go over dive buddies before hand, because I had no idea another diver was going to join us until he was in the water. He wasn't on the first dive. My guess is he joined because he saw others diving. It was a poor execution on the dive boat, and because I didn't really trust the DM that well, I went along basically as a backup air supply. Remember, the DM ran out of air on the first dive when I had 1300 psi.

All I want to know is whether I should have asked about the other divers PSI.

Xanthro

I'm curious. How deep did the snubas go? Am I correct in the thought that they get like a five minute brief on how it works and then they get chucked in the water?

If your first dive was to 75', and you went to watch your friend snuba, I'm concerned. I'm hoping you got in a real dive, and then the second dive was just to observe the snuba. I've never done snuba, so I don't know how it works. I'd appreciate any enlightenment.

I too have been on "dive trips" that ended up being snorkel boats. I didn't know we were all going on the same boat until literally the moment we all were told to get on board. If there had been any other alternative, I'd have gone elsewhere. It did make for a pretty lame experience - scuba in the surge is not my idea of a good time.

Sounds like you had a fun time - NOT.

Oh, and yes, I check with my buddies on actual air pressure all the time. We don't just flash "ok", we flash actual numbers. It's a very good thing to do, imho.

Xanthro:
I still fairly new to diving and didn't want to overstep my bounds, but I was honestly concerned about the person being left with that DM.
Xanthro

Why are you taking responsibility for all these people? What exactly did the DM do wrong? Why would it be your job to check the divers air?Who put you in charge? :) :)

Wijbrandus:
I'm curious. How deep did the snubas go? Am I correct in the thought that they get like a five minute brief on how it works and then they get chucked in the water?

If your first dive was to 75', and you went to watch your friend snuba, I'm concerned. I'm hoping you got in a real dive, and then the second dive was just to observe the snuba. I've never done snuba, so I don't know how it works. I'd appreciate any enlightenment.

I too have been on "dive trips" that ended up being snorkel boats. I didn't know we were all going on the same boat until literally the moment we all were told to get on board. If there had been any other alternative, I'd have gone elsewhere. It did make for a pretty lame experience - scuba in the surge is not my idea of a good time.

Sounds like you had a fun time - NOT.

Oh, and yes, I check with my buddies on actual air pressure all the time. We don't just flash "ok", we flash actual numbers. It's a very good thing to do, imho.

Snuba is to 20 feet max. Your line is on a raft, so you are tethered. It's basically an AL 80 floating on a raft, with 2 snuba people attached to it. You don't have a BC, but you are weighted. Usually to light to actually sink, and everyone had to fight to stay down. For the second snuba, I told my friend to add a pound, and that worked out really well. I didn't get to see the second dive. Though he had enough of a good time to now want to get certified.

Since he was in the second group, in the first dive, and each group gets 20 minutes in the water, we had 25 minutes before he started his snuba. That's when I was at 75 feet. He was never deeper than 20.

The class was about 15 minutes long. They went over the regulators, had to clear a mask, which my friend actually did, how to equalize your ears, and what you would see.

I still had a good time, I'm one of those who usually does. I can sit and watch one piece of coral for 20 minutes just looking at what moves by and have a good time.

Plus, I actually like being in surge. Just sitting there and moving back and forth is kind of fun.

Xanthro

Xanthro:
All I'm asking is, would others have asked the second diver about his PSI?

I didn't want to present myself as a divemaster or anything of the sort, so I didn't ask.

You did the right thing. In fact, if you were a divemaster or instructor you would be required to carry some liability insurance as part of your rating. Had you put yourself into a position of playing divemaster, by checking someone's air, you could open yourself to some unintended liability. Also, if I were the other diver and you checked my air for me, you would be told in no uncertain terms why you shouldn't do that again. In spite of a continuous stream of posts to the contrary, the human body can withstand a few errors and dives usually seem to end with everyone in good shape back on the boat, as proven once again by your experience.

As far as snuba, it's done differently in other places as well. There are different sized air compressors that can be used, depending on depth and number of users. There are snuba rigs capable of one diver to at least 80'. What is scary to me about them is that most of the skills taught in an open water class apply: mask clearing, second stage retrieval and clearing, don't hold your breath, bouyancy, etc. Unless snuba divers are going to hang at the end of a 20' hose in 30' of water, don't they also tend to be a bit harsh on the enviroment?

Xanthro:
I still had a good time, I'm one of those who usually does. I can sit and watch one piece of coral for 20 minutes just looking at what moves by and have a good time.

Plus, I actually like being in surge. Just sitting there and moving back and forth is kind of fun.

Xanthro

Thanks for the info. I honestly didn't know that's how it worked, and I appreciate the corrections to my missperceptions.

I love hanging out and watching the coral too, but surge makes me feel ill if I don't get out of it. Glad you enjoy it, though. Different strokes for different folks.

Why would asking your buddy how much gas he has be a bad thing? I didn't know about any liability issues, but then I'm still a rookie. My only dive buddies to date have been personal friends of mine or my wife, and one other time with another SB guy. I personally would view it as being a team. I don't understand why others would be offended at the question, but I'm sure we'll be told why.

Wijbrandus:
Why would asking your buddy how much gas he has be a bad thing? I

QUOTE]

Should ask a buddy. But it doesn't appear these guys were buddies. And he wants to know whether he should have gone over and checked the guy's gauge - that's diferent than asking.

I think Xan did the right thing except for feeling too responsible in the situation.

I can see the difference now. I haven't really been in that situation yet, so I guess I never thought about it like that.

I would probably be offended too if some guy on the boat just swam up to me and checked my gauges.

Back
Top Bottom