What you need to know before you come diving in the Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uwerath

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We, the Dive Center owners become a lot of emails from divers they like to have information about diving around the Dominican Republic.
The basic information we need to know is where you will go.
The DR has 3 different dive destinations.

1.) North Coast with Puerto Plata, Sosua
2.) East Coast with Punta Cana, Bavaro, ( maybe Samana )
3.) South Coast with Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, Bayahibe

For example:
When you bookt already a vacation in Punta Cana you dont need to ask Dive Centers on the south coast. The distance is more than 2 hours driving one way. The same with north and south coast, the distance is more than 4 hours.
Ask your tour operator for the center name in your hotel.

For your information:
The north and east coast is atlantic ocean and you will have maybe waves and wind.
The Dive sites are typical atlantic ocean sites, not so many corals, more rocks, but the posibillity for bigger fish.
Depense where you go fantastic dive sites.
The south coast is caribbean sea, most of the time flat ocean, nice reefs, wrecks, but not expect big fish.
Also here depense where you go fantastic sites.

Most dive operators using small boats to go out for diving.

When you have more questions I will answer in a neutral but true way.
I have no attention to promote dive sites or dive centers on the Island.
We all do our job to give a great service to our customers.

Uwe Rath

Hi, we're coming to Dominican Republic at the end of July, staying in Punta Cana. One of the dive companies I've found near our hotel, dreams palm beach, offers trips Saona island and Catalina island, but it's 160-180USD each per trip for each of us, is it worth the money to do at least one of them while we're over there? Other than that we'll just be looking at local diving, hopefully a few wrecks.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Will

You have two different trips what your dive operator is offering you.
The trip to catalina island includes normally 2 dives, dive number one is Catalina Wall ( 10 - 130 feet ) and the second one is Aquarium ( 36 feet ) Nice diving, but a lot of divers going to this dive site.
The trip goes from your place to La Romana 1 hour 1/2 and from there with the boat to Catalina Island.

The trip to Saona maybe is different. Here you need to ask this includes the diving or this is only a excursion to the island. Most of the operators going only to the island without diving.
When you have diving included this will be the trip where you can see bigger fish.
This goes from your hotel to Bayahibe and from there with some speed boats or big catamarans to the island Saona.
You need to ask about the diving on the trips
Catalina yes, Saona not always.

Hi, thanks for all the info, sounds like the Saona trip might be the one to go for (have checked and diving is included for the $195, it's $95 without the 2 dives).

Can't wait, 43 days until we go :D

Hello. I am staying in Juan Dolio in the month of Aug. Most of the dive shops I have found are in Boca Chica or Bayahibe. I only have about 10 dives under me in the 6 yrs that I have been certified. I am looking for a shop that will not have cattle boats, and will allow for me and my 2 uncertified friends to do a couple dives. I tend to come here and to tripadvisor to do research, but havent had much luck. I have read the dive shop at our hotel-Coral Costa, isnt good, and I cant find anything about them online. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

Most of my time here in the DR I was living in Juan Dolio. Juan Dolio was a very big tourist area a couple of years ago. Now you will find only 2 big hotel. The Costa Coral Caribe and the Capella Beach Hotel. The shop in your hotel is very small and is running dives with a very small boat.
What I can recommend ist the Dive Center in the Capella Hotel. Walking distance 15 min. ( go to the beach and go left. ) The name is Neptuno Dive Center, German Owners. They have some bigger boats and offer also daytrips to Catalina Island.
To go from Juan Dolio to Boca Chica or Bayahibe will be not so easy and I can not recommend this.

Hello Uwerath, With a dive buddy, I'll be going to the Iberostar La Romana Dominicus in a couple of weeks and would like some pointers. We will probably have two to three 1\2 days available for diving. He is an OWD so we won't be going down to depth. Given that, what would you recommend seeing as a must see? Wall, Acquarium, a particular wreck? Also, we took a look at the dive shop in the hotel and were less than impressed, offering only single tank boat dives which would seem to waste too much time. I've looked at Scuba Fun in bayahibe which looks like a good Dive Shop. We are their with families so we might do an excursion where we dive and they snorkel.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Uwe,

I am going to stay at Boca Chica between December 13-21. A friend of mine has recommended the place and told me that it has a good combination of dive sites and night life. I am reasonably experienced diver with about 250 dives in various environments under the belt. My most recent dive trip was through Philippines last May. In an average dive, I enjoy seeing a good reef or a wreck full of marine life. If there is something special to the area (like thresher sharks in Malapasqua), this is a bonus. Would you please let me know what to expect diving (I have been told that caves are great) at Boca Chica? As to the caves, I will enjoy diving them if they are not too narrow, I am a bit claustrophobic and stay away from narrow passages. I plan to bring all the gear but fins (if you rent descent ones) with me. So, if you will give me info on dive sites, times, prices, discounts I will appreciate.

Looking forward for your reply,

Hiawata.

We, the Dive Center owners become a lot of emails from divers they like to have information about diving around the Dominican Republic.
The basic information we need to know is where you will go.
The DR has 3 different dive destinations.

1.) North Coast with Puerto Plata, Sosua
2.) East Coast with Punta Cana, Bavaro, ( maybe Samana )
3.) South Coast with Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, Bayahibe

For example:
When you bookt already a vacation in Punta Cana you dont need to ask Dive Centers on the south coast. The distance is more than 2 hours driving one way. The same with north and south coast, the distance is more than 4 hours.
Ask your tour operator for the center name in your hotel.

For your information:
The north and east coast is atlantic ocean and you will have maybe waves and wind.
The Dive sites are typical atlantic ocean sites, not so many corals, more rocks, but the posibillity for bigger fish.
Depense where you go fantastic dive sites.
The south coast is caribbean sea, most of the time flat ocean, nice reefs, wrecks, but not expect big fish.
Also here depense where you go fantastic sites.

Most dive operators using small boats to go out for diving.

When you have more questions I will answer in a neutral but true way.
I have no attention to promote dive sites or dive centers on the Island.
We all do our job to give a great service to our customers.

Uwe Rath

Hello Hiawate,
sorry for the late answer but I was traveling. When you like to go to Boca Chica as a familie trip, I can not recommend it. When you like to go alone and enjoy the night live this will be ok. The diving is ok. Here you will find some nice reefs in front in shallow and in deep water. Also the wreck catuan is very close. The Dive Centers there will recomment the under water national park La Caleta in front of the airport. This is very nice diving with walls and some pices from 4 ship wrecks. The Hickory, El Lemon, Capt. Alsina and the Pump are long time under water and you have only metal pices left.
Cave Diving ist possible, but I can not recommend some dive operator there . They will offer this but nobody from this operators has Cave certified guides. Its a real Cave and you need a cave cert. for this. Please not go with Open Water dive equipment in a cave enviorment. Ask the operators for show you there cave certifications.
I can not give you some price informations, schedules or special deals. Im located in Bayahibe this is 2 hours away. When you tell me where you will stay I can give you the name of the closesd dive center. I think you will find 5 or 6 in Boca Chica.

Thanks, Uwe!

I'll book a hotel and get back to you regarding dive shops. This is pity about the cave, I make sure if I decide to try it to check the guide certification first.

---------- Post Merged on October 24th, 2012 at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous Post was on October 23rd, 2012 at 07:21 PM ----------

Uwe,

are you familiar with hotels at Boca Chica, can you recommend a good one in the price range $40-60, preferably on the beach with reasonably good food, security but not too many restrictions for local guests, food and drink in room? I am particularly curios aboiut Cocoo Beach (former Don Emilio), their website looks good but I found no reviews in the net?

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom