Whats a better Reg Oceanic Omega or Tusa RS-130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose016

Contributor
Reaction score
I've narrowed my reg search down to 2 and I was hoping to get opinions between those two which are Oceanic Omega II and the Tusa RS-130. I hear the oceanic breathes better, but the Tusa is better built. I don't really know which I prefer, but better built is always good. Both seem to offer free parts for service and I can get them both for about the same price, maybe the omega a little cheaper. Anyways if you have an opinion please let me know, I'm very indecisive.

Thanks,

Jamie

Moose016:
I've narrowed my reg search down to 2 and I was hoping to get opinions between those two which are Oceanic Omega II and the Tusa RS-130. I hear the oceanic breathes better, but the Tusa is better built. I don't really know which I prefer, but better built is always good. Both seem to offer free parts for service and I can get them both for about the same price, maybe the omega a little cheaper. Anyways if you have an opinion please let me know, I'm very indecisive.

Thanks,

Jamie

I haven't heard much about the Omega II, but personal preference has me not liking the weird way the 2nd stage diaphram housing is offset, but that's just me. (since you asked).

Nothing wrong with the RS-130, but it's kinda near the bottom of the line for TUSA. I think it'll work fine for you, but you'll end up wanting a better one later and spending a little more money the 2nd time to get what you really want.

you said they are about the same in price.... ST has the RS-130 for $169 and the Omega II for $279, so appears they are about $100 difference (from what I saw).

just my 2psi worth. hope it helps some.

Thanks mike. I agree, I don't like the housing either, and I'm not sure whether I'd like the side discharge. Currently I'm using a a reg with old sherwood 2nd stages and a Brut first stage that my local dive shop put together for me from rental equipment 5 years ago so anything is an upgrade. I think the RS-130 is 179 at ST and when I called they said they don't have any Omegas with a first stage, just 2nd stage and hose so I'd be getting it from another shop now that they are discontinued.

One more thing to consider, an "odd" regulator like that (the omega) might not be a common item that most dealers stock parts or rebuild kits for. Just something to consider.

How did you narrow your search down to two such dis-similar regs?....yes the Omega will breath better but all pilot valve regs are touchy...the Tusa will be more forgiving but I for one don't really care for either one to work on. As much as it pains me to say anything Aqualung (due to their policies,not the regs) in your price range try a Titan they are tough and Iv'e seen some that were working that should not have. Or for a little more go to Divesports.com and check out a Oceanic GT3 a sweet reg for the price.

When I made my "first" official gear purchase, my regulator set-up uses the TUSA RS130. The LDS where I bought it told me it was a good recreational choice used by many for OW classes. Thus far it has been very dependable and as tempted as I have been to upgrade-I haven't choosing to spend my money on other toys.

tstonedvr:
How did you narrow your search down to two such dis-similar regs.

Basically I narrowed it down between what my LDS had on special (closeout on Omega, which got me thinking about a new reg) and what scuba toys had under about $250. I hadn't really though about a new one until then, but I am about to start diving Nitrox and I figure now is as good a time as any to upgrade. I asked the guys at ST their opinions on the 5 I was looking at (Aeris Atmos Sport and pro, mares R2 rebel, oceanic alpha 8, tusa RS-130) and then the omega at the LDS. I hear Atmos pro was the best breather, alpha 8 was well built, but most expensive and the RS-130 was the best built. The rest I was told weren't even in the same category. So based off that I went with the one on the list I liked best, the Tusa and compared it against the Omega and posted. If you have any insights on one of the other two that were said to be good or even the other 5 please let me know, this is really the first I've looked at them.

Thanks again for the help.

I have used the Omega II for many years, and like it more than any others (close tie with the older Scubapro D400). The Omega II is a slightly "wet" breather, but you get used to it. Don't know a lot about TUSA regs from personal experience, but I've heard you have to be careful which one you choose.

The Omega II keeps bubbles out of your face, is quieter, lighter, and is more streamlined, which completely eliminates any jaw fatigue for me.

Well it's like this I checked the price on www.divesports.com on the Oceanic GT3 which is the reg right under the top of the line it was $229.00 and in your under $250.00 range....you should check it out....however while I don't care all that much for repairing the Tusa the reg is a solid performer and used in many class/rental fleets and as a FYI Aeris is a Oceanic company...any modern day reg will work fine it's that some will work better...what you have to ask yourself is how much am I going to dive and how deep...the reg you have now properly tuned will get you there and back again to rec limits no problem.. good luck on your choice and you will like nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom