what's considered the best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done a couple of trips to Kona, Hawaii. From my limited experience it's just a different type of vacation. In Bonaire you can really indulge in diving. Kona had some interesting dives. I did a blue-water dive and a manta ray dive which were very cool. Topside you have much more in Kona - helicopter tours of the volcano, tour the observatory at 14k feet, trekking to the lava flow over the lava fields, rainforests and waterfalls, beautiful beaches, horseback riding at the parker ranch, sea kayaking to Capt Cookes monument... Actually, you should go to Hawaii :) You'll just have to budget a little more to do all that extra stuff.

JackSpearo:
wow...seriously?

we were planning on going to bonaire this august, but we've noticed the deals to hawaii...

just thought i'd ask

I have very fond memories of my trip to Kona. The diving there is different than the Caribbean. Don't expect to see lush soft corals. Do expect to see plenty of animal life and the topside is awesome.

some Kona pics

I would like to recommend Beaches, Sandy Bay (Negril, Jamaica). I have spent the last week in July there for the last fourteen years. The atmosphere is laid back, the staff friendly, the food mostly American, but multicultural, and the beach is the best (any takers?). It is a family all inclusive with babysitters if needed. It also includes diving and other water sports - sunfish, windsurfing, etc. etc. Other entertainment and activities are in house. The diving (all boat dives) is not high voltage, but the easy and relaxed. The vis is generally about 70' and the water is bath warm (only T-shirt needed). Frequently seen - turtles, rays, squids, and occassionally - nurse shark, barracuda, and dolphins. The reef and soft corals are in decent shape and has the usual small reef life. A perfect diving area for a novice diver. I've been diving thirty years and still enjoy diving Negril.

Along with a one year old and grandparents, I couldn't think of a nicer place.

Note: There is a Beaches, Negril. This one is not family orientated.

You might try Grand Cayman, those were our first ocean dives after our certifications in May of 06, most of the dives are off of Seven Mile Beach and were in very calm seas, with no currents or surges and lots of visibility. We used Neptune Divers which is a small diving outfit with great service, they would pick us up at 8 am every morning and get us 3 dives every day we were there. Also, the beach is great white sand, palm trees, and azure water. I would recommend this for your wifes first ocean dives, they were very easy with lines to follow down at every boat dive and great sea life all around.

Curacao.. The marriott is really nice and the Breezes is an all inclusive...

Back
Top Bottom