whats going on LBTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hey lauderdale'rs I hear reports of a barge dredging sand in Lauderdale by the sea just 300' off of shore,hhmmmm the reefs are around that. I need somebody in LBTS to give me a heads up and see whats going on? I sure would'nt sit well if my reefs were being dredged up!

They're doing beach renourishment. The dredge goes up the coast gets a load of sand and comes back down the coast. They're doing Hallandale right now and working their way up the coast. It's been about a 4 year process but they finally got approval. They will be covering some reef, so they agreed to mitigation ie. dumping a bunch of boulders off of Dania Beach.

http://www.broward.org/beachrenourishment/welcome.htm

MOre from the site.
http://www.broward.org/beachrenourishment/faqs.htm

8. Will coral reefs and turtles be affected?

The County has taken extraordinary measures to protect coral reefs and sea turtles.

Coral Reefs: The “borrow sites” designated as sources of sand for the project are located between and in proximity to coral reefs. The County has instituted comprehensive monitoring programs designed to detect adverse impacts to corals before serious harm occurs. In addition, highly precise vessel navigation and logging systems are mandatory, stringent offshore operations procedures are required, and specific dredge steaming corridors and operations areas are laid out such that reefs will be avoided as much as possible. In the nearshore, adjacent to the beach, narrow zones of sparsely populated hardbottom (much of which became exposed by erosion of the beach) will be covered over time by the equilibration of the new beach. To compensate for the impacts to these nearshore hardbottoms, the County has constructed 10.1 acres of new nearshore hardbottom using limestone boulders, and has transplanted hundreds of hard corals from the impact zones to the mitigation substrate. Sea Turtles: Sea turtle nests along the beaches of Hallandale Beach, Hollywood, and Dania Beach are routinely relocated to protected hatcheries each year during nesting season. This practice will continue during the beach nourishment project. Additionally, a sea turtle monitor will be on duty every night, all night, whenever and wherever beach construction activities take place at night. Should a sea turtle come ashore to nest in the vicinity of construction, activities will stop until the turtle returns to the ocean. Finally, a qualified endangered species monitor will be on station on the dredge at all times to ensure that no sea turtles or marine mammals are harmed by the project. At John U. Lloyd Beach State Park, beach nourishment will be conducted outside of sea turtle nesting season.

yeah, for sand.

Ive seen what this type of adventure has done in the past. They talk a good story and say they have all the bases covered but some how something usually gets messed up. we'll have to go down there and make sure all is well. There better not be any reefs being buried or we may have to take legal action. I know how the County Commisioners think around there and its usually to benefit the Yankees and tourism.
what they dont realize is that the reefs generate millions of dollars of revenue and that a small impact can cause irreversible damage. Im surprised that there was'nt some kind of protest to this idea. They always say "oh well the amount of corals in that area are insugnificant to the value of the reef". Yeh and me kicking you in the balls is just a insignificant way of me telling you how I feel about you destroying our reefs!

Ask any of the old timers who were in Broward County back in the 70s,
and they'll ALL tell you how the beaches are wider now than they were way back when.

Take a good look at the surf profile on some of the LADS surveys done since beach renourishment and you can see where all their precious sand gets washed off to ... just offshore ... and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Gee, and they wonder why the inlets are plugged up with sand.

reefsavers.org:
Ive seen what this type of adventure has done in the past. They talk a good story and say they have all the bases covered but some how something usually gets messed up. we'll have to go down there and make sure all is well. There better not be any reefs being buried or we may have to take legal action. I know how the County Commisioners think around there and its usually to benefit the Yankees and tourism.
what they dont realize is that the reefs generate millions of dollars of revenue and that a small impact can cause irreversible damage. Im surprised that there was'nt some kind of protest to this idea. They always say "oh well the amount of corals in that area are insugnificant to the value of the reef". Yeh and me kicking you in the balls is just a insignificant way of me telling you how I feel about you destroying our reefs!

There is reef being buried. It's a done deal.

http://globalcoral.org/Cry%20of%20the%20water%20PR.htm

It's been an ongoing fight for quite awhile.

Every season it is noticeably worse. The near-shore reefs are BURIED in north LBTS (about 3/4 mile north of the pier)... just the tips showing now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom