What's involved in being a DM / Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well considering I just sent in my DM application to PADI yesterday it is fresh in my head.
I started the my present course because DMC was the next step in my scuba education. I'm one of those people that when I decide to involve myself in something I want to learn as much as I can about it. Diving is one of the things I enjoy most and am not shy about sharing my passion for the sport. I'm happy to help others learn what I've learned. Now that I've become a Divemaster I'm looking further ahead to the instructor level.
Many believe that the one that dies with the most toys wins. I believe the one that wins is the person that enjoys what they learn and teach along lifes path.

I became a DM for what some would, and have called the wrong reasons.

To become a better diver and to dive more, and you know what. It really worked for me, I though MSD was a bit gimmicky and figured the way forward was as DM. I made the right choice, so whatever works for you is fine, it doesn't have to be a noble cause to get you started.

If you do the course and DMing is not for you (sounds like it is already anyway) it's still a great experience and you don't have to keep yourself renewed. I had no idea how much I would enjoy helping students and DMing in general, if I hadn't taken the course as a means to better myself I would never have found out. Now I'm really looking forward to finding the time to start the IDC.

In many areas when it comes to dealing with customers and students you're not going to be at that level until you do the course. I say go for it and don't look back!

If your DSO thinks you'd do well, you probably will.

I started down the path for a reason that isn't one of the right ones; but it isn't exactly wrong either.

I wanted to learn how to repair regulators; but the shop owner required anyone who repaired regs in his shop to be at least a DM. So I started that course and was surprised to discover I really enjoy helping others learn to dive. Years later I still enjoy teaching, and work hard to do it well. Regulator maintenance became a small sideline.

As some others have mentioned, I too was concerned about the risks associated with responsibility for others' safety. I wondered how I'd react in a real emergency. So I focused (and continue to focus) big-time on prevention. But over time some minor incidents occurred in which I reacted well / instinctively, and that gave me confidence. I've learned to trust my training – and to continue training and practice.

Why not try the first step, and see how it goes? And take it as slowly as you feel comfortable.

wow, thanks for all the helpful responses.

Great to see all the different reasons for DMing and where you all ended up.

thanks again!

I didn't see that forum. Sorry about that! Could a mod move this thread appropriately?

Sorry for posting it here. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom