What's it like to swim from Alcatraz??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A BLAST! Did the swim Saturday in the SharkFest. Alas, no sharks, but it was a great swim. 1000 or so swimmers met at Aquatic Park and tromped through Fisherman's Wharf in wetsuits and speedos to the Blue and Gold Ferries. Once to Alcatraz, we jumped off the boat right near the ferry dock, two by two on each side of the ferry, and swam, towards the start. It wasn't that cold, and by the time I reached the start area, it was actually pretty comfortable.

The horn went off and we started at a slack tide, moving to an outgoing tide. This was the largest swim start I've been in, lots of bodies flailing, kicking, jostling. I eventually found some clear water but ran into a bunch of folks during the swim. As a result of the tides, we had to sight for the TransAmerica bldg, which is way to the left of Aquatic Park. I swim left naturally anyway, so I ended up being on the left of the pack the whole way. I was also paranoid about missing the opening and having to be rescued (or worse yet, riding the current under the Golden Gate Bridge all the way to the Farallons and meeting the Landlord :) )

It was a fun swim over, and I wasn't too far off the back of the buoy boat, so I sighted off of that for the most part. My line was good, moving my target a little right every few minutes to accoutn for the tides, eventually aiming right for the masted ship the Balclutha right at the park entrance. I stopped concentrating for just a minute, and the next time I looked up I didn't recognize what I was seeing. Sh**, the right side of the park opnening, and the current was moving at a good clip, to the right, away from the entrance. I started swimming back to the entrance, and wasn't moving much, the sign on my right stayed where it was. I had to sprint for about 30 seconds to swim against the current and make the opening. A friend had to get picked up and repositioned to finish the swim, as did a couple hundred others.

Once inside, it was nice and calm and after 200 yards or so the sprint to the finish began. I finished at 34:45, way ahead of my goal of 40:00 (based on last year's times, every swim is different), and was 9/89 in my AG (M35-39), 70th overall in men's wetsuit (yes, there is a nonwetsuit division - actually it was not so cold that a wetsuit was necessary), and 83/685 overall wetsuits.

If anyone is into swimming and wants a mini-adventure, I highly recommend it!

Chris

Hey congratulations on your swim, sounds like you did great.

Good job Chris! What was the distance of the swim? Did you go for an "official" time...without a wetsuit?

A few of us are doing the checkout swim in Hermosa on Saturday morning for the Pier-to-Pier, feel free to join us if you haven't made plans yet. I'm off to the pool tonight.

Water temp was 60 or so, I'd say, maybe even 61. Never got an "official" reading

The race is wetsuit legal, and is about 80% wetsuits. The swim is about 1.5 miles. It changes a bit every year due to the changing tides and currents. Point to point is shorter than that, but you can't swim p2p or you'd miss the finish.

I have to do the checkout this weekend too. I may be able to make it Saturday, but more likely I'll have to do it Sunday after my regular swim in Hermosa

Chris

ChrisM:
Water temp was 60 or so, I'd say, maybe even 61. Never got an "official" reading

Yikes!! That's too cold for me, though I'm jealous of your adventure.

What's next on your list?

Cameron

CameronMartz:
Yikes!! That's too cold for me, though I'm jealous of your adventure.

What's next on your list?

Cameron

2 mile pier to pier in August, then Galapagos (which is why I started this nonsense in the first place, and I hardly dive anymore,,,,, :^) , Malibu tri in Sept and Hermosa tri in October. Maybe the Catalina tri in November, but not likely.

Chris

Way to go Chris. I have been in the bay water and it can get rather cool. smile... Have you set you goals for next years swim yet?

Chris-

I did the swim a few times when the government housed me in a comfortable room there on the island. Unfortunately every escape attempt was met with quick action by the guards and I was back in my room before I could reach shore. Just teasing.

You've given up diving for swimming?

Bill

ChrisM:
2 mile pier to pier in August, then Galapagos (which is why I started this nonsense in the first place...

Galapagos, are you going with Eco Dive Center or Hollywood Divers? Are you afraid that you might be left at sea and have to swim home? :)

If you need to dive, join us this Sunday for a day at Catalina dive park. See you on the 7th for the 2 miler.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom