Whats normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't speak about divemasters because I'm not one, nor do I play one on TV. However, there is no such animal as "normal" when it comes to diving. Divers are people and people tend to have different ideas of fun. Some people's idea of fun diving means to go super slowly over a very small area (I like this idea). Some like to swim like mad and do underwater acrobatic (sometimes I like this idea). Some like to swim all over the joint and explore the terrain (sometimes I like to do this too).

So, in summary, what is it that YOU want to do? Find a buddy with similar diving preference and go for it.

However, there is no such animal as "normal" when it comes to diving. Divers are people and people tend to have different ideas of fun. Some people's idea of fun diving means to go super slowly over a very small area (I like this idea). Some like to swim like mad and do underwater acrobatic (sometimes I like this idea). Some like to swim all over the joint and explore the terrain (sometimes I like to do this too).

Which is why a good divemaster will communicate with their customers to establish their preferences before the dive plan is formulated.

Without that essential communication at an early stage, then the DM will just be herding (potentially unhappy) sheep.

I take most of the responsibility for not making the conversions clearer, I'll mark my gage with a grease pencil next time, 200 bar, 100 bar, 50 bar, to clear the confusion. Or maybe I'll just buy a metric one, I'm not leaving here anytime soon.

Grease pencil is a good temporary fix but I would get a new pressure gage with bar. Since the Veo can be changed to metric you might consider going native and heading off any further miscommunication at the pass.

As for normal, I don't have any style I stick to, it depends on who I dive with and what we decide to do. The only exception is that I do long surface swims off the beach if I want water over 25' deep and/or relieve the diver overcrowding in an area.

Bob
------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

This is always a fun situation since what is normal varies from diver to diver. I have always been one that wants to take my time and see "everything" but i often find divers who want to do something instead. Meet up with some new divers and see who you have common goals with. once you find that group of people, dive and enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom