What's the A in A/TX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rebharrop

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya,

Although my dive shop recommended the Mares MR12 Axis, I've been trying to do my homework (looking around the threads etc.) but I can't find anywhere what the difference is between the Axis ATX (say 50) and the TX.

I was looking at pricing up kit and scubastore have a decent package with TX-50 DS4+OCTOP TX-40 for £272.21.

However, they also offer the ATX 50 + ATX 40 for £300 but I'd still need the 1st stage and that's getting real pricey now. Or the Scubapro MK16 S600 for £216 (but then I'd need a cheap octopus).

Since I'm only a relative newbie I thought I'd get mid budget (but effective) kit now and something better later on when I know more about what I want. However, I do know that I am gonna dive nitrox for a good portion of the time. Does this change things?

Any advice?

Kindest regards
Becky

PS. Yoke or Din - always used yoke but willing to be converted, is it really that much better?

The ATX has a 25% smaller 2nd stage. The first stage is the same. Personaly, I like the TX better. The exhaust manifold is larger on the TX and causes less bubble interferance. The TX 50 is a great reg. My son has one. I have the TX100 And ATX100.
Lloyd

Go visit the web site for Apeks
The A in ATX, as far as I could see, stands for Advanced. The new and improved TX. It is 25% lighter and the 2nd stage has a smaller profile. The ATX200 sounds really nice!!

The ATX 200 is really nice. My dive buddy won one from the Apex website. It is very nice. However, I would prefer a larger exhaust tee to help emilnate bubble interference.

Becky,

Typically when you buy an ATX50, AT40 it includes a first stage. It gets confusing because sometimes ATX50 is used to identify only the second stage (such as a ATX50 / DS4 combination) and other times it refers to a first and second stage combination. Based on the price you mentioned I believe the first stage is included.

For example APEKS, TX-50 DS4+OCTOP TX-40 from DiveInn (http://www.scubastore.com/eng/index.asp) for $319.50 includes the first stage.

Mike

Originally posted by JamesK
However, I would prefer a larger exhaust tee to help emilnate bubble interference.
I agree. I have a TX-50 primary that I bought just before the ATX's came out. I recently bought an ATX-40 second stage for my back-up. I've found the TX-50 second has much better bubble dispersion than the ATX second stage. Some people complain of jaw fatique with the TX range since they have the wide exhaust tee but it doesn't bother me at all. When you put the two side by side the exhaust tee is really the main thing that's smaller on the ATX, the rest of the body is real close in size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom