Whats the best reg for the DIYer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about switching regulators to something more user friendly. I've heard that Dive Rite will sell parts directly to consumers. Is this the best reg for the do-it-yourselfer, or are there others to consider.

Scubapro: the technical support I get from this board is world-class, way above any training from the manufacturer.
Parts are not available directly, but you can get them off eBay, at a price, $30-40 per kit. Some parts are available from 3rd parties. There are lots of threads on this subject right below.

To some extent it depends on what you mean by best for a DIYer. From an "easy to get factory parts" standpoint Zeagle, Hog and DiveRite are good choices and they are all good quality regs. All of them are more or less based on the Apeks design.

If you are looking for the easiest to DIY from a repair point of view, my choices changes a little.
For first stages that are very easy to service then pretty much any flow by piston first stages- Scubapro MK-2 is a great choice. It requires no special tools, is very simple to repair and all the service parts can be DIYed or are standard off the shelf parts. It is an easy first self service reg to learn on. A slightly more difficult reg to service and to get parts for is the ScuabPro MK-5. The parts issue has almost been solved by the DIYers here. Oring size charts are already posted and the HP seats can be home made or from what I understand Trident is now making a replacement. You do need a couple of special tools but they are easy to DIY or can be had at a fairly low cost. All in all, most likely the best overall choice for a DIYer first stage is one of the later MK-5s.

If you want a balanced second stage then I would go with the Zeagles, Hogs or Diverites again due to the easy of factory parts kits. If however you don't reguire a balanced second stages then there are lots of choices. Pretty much any of the older metal second stages (from the 70s and 80s- don't go back to the 50 and 60 and avoid Healthways and Sportways) and most of the plastic non balanced ones use common parts or parts than can be DIYed. The best of them is the Scubapro 109. It's an adjustable metal second stage that performs very well. Most of the internal parts are easy to get/DIY with the exception of the diaphram and exhause valves, both of which do not require changing often and can be had if you look around some....or have it serviced once at a shop just to get the parts.

If you are just starting out, then the first things you need to buy are a couple of books. They will help you understand the internal working of regulators and give you some ideas on what special tools you will need. The 2 books are "Regulator Savvy" Scuba Tools and "Maintenance and Repair of Scuba Regulators" Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers . I suggest you get and read both of them. Each has a slightly different slant on service and repair and between the 2 you get a solid foundation to work from.

I'm not completely comfortable that the manufacturers who are promising parts sale to divers today will continue that practice in the future nor that they will require their retailers to make such sales. I guess I will be less skeptical when I see it as part of their provided warranty.

I have seen retailers make such commitments and then back off either saying mfgr invoked new restrictions, or presenting absurd pricing, or just not delivering.

I'll stick with Scubapro because that is what I have and they have enough leaks in their parts supply system that I can always seem to find basic service kits and even the oddball parts that you may need now and then.

I really like the older Scubapro regs because prices are quite reasonable and parts are simple. Heck, I have purchase some unusable old Scubapro 1st stages at very low prices just to have the usable parts. With the old Scubapro adjustable metal 2nds, you have to find a modern poppet (most do not have them) but the rest of the service parts are standard and available from many sources including aftermarket manufacturers.

I am NOT a reg repair guru, but I heard the Aqualung Conshelf XIV is very simple to rebuild, so bought a Conshelf XIV on ebay specifically to play with myself. The manual is easily available online. They were right... it is easy. Full disclaimer - all I did was take it apart, clean it and reassemble it as I did not have the parts kit. This was just for fun and I don't dive the reg, but I learned a whole lot doing it.

Zeagle parts are very easy to get. I have 2 FH VI and do the work on them myself. For all of their diaphragm regs parts are the same.

Trident sells after market parts that seem to work well in my older Scubapro regs. I also see parts listed for the older US Divers regs. A dive shop I go to has no problem selling me these parts.

Thanks for all the info. I just checked Scuba Toys, and they have the Zeagle repair kits listed right there on line, so it looks like there woudn't be any problem getting them. They also have the repair manual as a free down load. I checked it out and it looks fairly easy.
Does anyone have an opinion on the different Zeagle models. Flat head, Envoy, ZX 50D......?

All based on the Apeks design and easy to DIY. An ATX50 was my first reg repair. Herman has good stories about that one :)
The HOG's are identical to the ATX50's for all intents and purposes, and very easy to repair as well, both first and second. The Apeks service manuals work for the HOG regs, and I'm fairly certain you can get them pretty easy as well for HOG, or just use the Apeks...

Thanks for all the info. I just checked Scuba Toys, and they have the Zeagle repair kits listed right there on line, so it looks like there woudn't be any problem getting them. They also have the repair manual as a free down load. I checked it out and it looks fairly easy.
Does anyone have an opinion on the different Zeagle models. Flat head, Envoy, ZX 50D......?

This is a late reply, but anyway; I bought two well-used Flathead VI's on ebay and rebuilt them. They are very easy to service, and are terrific regs... they were Zeagle's "flagship" regulator until the Flathead 7 was released a couple years ago.

The only "special" tool needed to service this regulator is a hook spanner. Zeagle Express sells them, or can probably improvise your own (I modified a hook spanner from a set of bicycle tools I had).

Do obtain the repair manual before rebuilding the Zeagle first stages... they are simple, but Zeagle specifies a specific reassmebly order to prevent damage (which is pretty obvious, but if you do it bass akwards you'll damage internal parts).

I'm not familiar with the other Zeagle first stages. You can still get new "old stock" Zeagle Flathead VI's for about $350 I think.... and on ebay they pop up from time to time and go for around $110 - $150. (These originally sold for around $700 I think).

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom