What's the best time of day...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seawalker

Reaction score
..for snorkeling?

Depends on what you are looking for, in what water, at what depth is the reef. If it is 30* with clear viz with the sun coming directly over head, it could be spectacular

Anytime I am in the water and can see some fish...

supposedly, fish are more active at dusk and dawn

but...

everytime i've been snorkeling i've seen more fish than i could shake a stick at

Depending on where you are snorkeling, sharks are more active as well. Poor visibility whether dim light at dawn or dusk or just stuff in the water can lead to a shark having a taste.

At night when you can spot an octopus who'll come out to play!

Anytime when conditions are good. Certain critters are more likely at dusk and dawn. High sun can provide more light to depth. Night skin-dives with lights are also a great bridge to night scuba diving and are a whole lot of relaxing fun under the stars.

Pete

It's not fixed because at many good snorkelling sites it depends on the tide.

miketsp:
It's not fixed because at many good snorkelling sites it depends on the tide.

Very true. I have some that are best at high, others low and some mid tide. Also pay attention to the whole marine forecast. Wind direction can make a huge difference. I happen to get seasick easilly. A wind coming off the land can knock down the marine seas near shore and make a cove bathtub calm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom