What's the best way to secure a camera to you? Gear retractor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a bolt snap attached directly to the rig and snapped off to a D-ring when not in use. However, 95% of the time it's in my hands and not bolted. What if I drop it or it's knocked from my hands? I also use the coiled lanyard. I have a good one that has a bolt snap on either end and I never ever detach it from my rig or my waist D-ring while diving. When I hand my rig to the boat guy I keep it attached until he has a firm grasp and then I detach it from my waist D-ring.

I use a 2 pronged approch. I attach a 2- 3 ft piece of 1in nylon strap securily to the camera (a loop in the end with the free end threaded through it) with male end of a quick release clip at the other end. The female end of the quick clip is attached to my right shoulder BC D ring. I have a brass snap clip on the camera housing. To secure the camera up close, I use the snap clip on my left D ring, when in use I unclip it leaving the strap connected. If I drop the camera either by accident or to respond to an emergency it drops below me. When boat diving, the DM can use the strap to lower the camera down to me and when getting back on the boat, I hold the end of the strap until I am sure the DM has the camera.

Well, my vote is controversial. I never attach a camera during a dive. I always have a bolt snap though to attach it in an emergency or at a safety stop if I feel the need.

A short piece of nylon string 3' long or so with a bolt snap that is "looped up" to make is shorter where it hangs only 3 or 4 inches off one of the handles is a nice option for bigger cameras in an emergency.

After diving with cameras since 2004, I think this [a bolt snap] is the only way to go. For small P&S there is need for anything else. On a chest high D-ring, pin it to your chest with your elbow as you hold your regulator in place and backroll in. Perfecly safe; I've done this hundreds and hundreds of times. Having the camera flip up and hit you in the face from a giant stride would seriously suck. While diving the camera is secure with no chance of becoming a dangling trawler.

I dive with a bigger camera now, and I still just use a bolt-snap. Two strobe arms and tray handles give you all the handholds you could ever want. For streamlined swimming you want the arms "knee'd" up in inverted V's, and resting in your crossed arms. The camera is going nowhere. The rest of the time it's in two hands, which is already "belt and suspenders". With any camera you absolutely do not want a tether. I use the snap when I need two hands free for something else which is very rarely.

So there you have it, those that leave the camera attached full time, and those who do not. Surprisingly those who do not then say unless they need to and generally have some way to attach the camera. So much for that argument.

I have watched several UW cameras get dropped. In 20' of water a couple were retrieved. In Coz on a wall no chance. I have read about even more camera losses over the years. To a man every loss comes with a vow that the attachment system will not allow this to happen again. Most are insured so the biggest loss usually is the images. Here are the things I look for:

• The lanyard should be heavy duty.
  • The lanyard should be secured to the BC with a bolt snap
  • The lanyard should be secured to the housing tray using a secure method. This varies with the housing. I usually have mine double secured. Like a ring and strap.
  • The camera should be able to be hang from the Shoulder Dring, or wherever, with little play.
  • Once unbuckled you should have 36"+/- of play which is plenty for shooting.
  • It's best to leave the camera clipped off until it's on the boat. That may not be possible if the distance is over 4'. In that case some use a rope but most are just very careful.
  • The design should be well made with little to no chance of failing. My clip did fail, but as it was just the plastic clip the camera remained secure with some play.
  • I like coiled systems as they leave less hanging when shooting.
This is what I use.
36" Quick Release Coil Lanyard with Brass Clip and SS Split Ring

This is my next clip:
Coiled Webbing Lanyard - Bolt Snap - Accessories - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

I have dove a bunch in kelp and these lanyards are not an entanglement hazard that I have experienced.

Some like retractable attachments. They are expensive, and don't last. Some use a rope. I like the coiled lanyards. The main thing is to secure the camera so in an emergency you don't have to worry about it. This may not be as vital in 20' of clear water, in 300'+ ......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom