What's the deal with the "Advanced Nitrox" certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I'm pretty certain that Matt will accept Dan's Fundies in place of his intro to tech. Heliotrox and deep diver might not be a bad combo tho, if you're just looking to improve your recreational deep diving for the time being.

Regardless of what path you take, feel free to contact me and see if we cant arrange some dives together. With me about to take Tech 1, I'll take all the in water time I can get my hands on.

Jim

Thanks, I've already traded emails with Matt, I will see what he says, he may prefer that I (a) wait until I have more experience, (b) take Rec. Helitrox in conjunction with or following Deep Diver, or (c) take NAUI Intro to Tech first.

My bet is that he will either send me away until I have another season under my belt or demand that I do a checkout dive for him before making a specific plan of action.

$20K for OC Equip?? that's a lot of tanks.

If there is any chance of your going down the CCR road, then you should take that fork in the road early, before you shell out $20K for O/C equipment.:popcorn:

I'm sure he could get most of that back by selling it here on SB.

If you are serious about CCR then do it now.

No fear! No SCR, no CCR, no doubles, no deco for the foreseeable future! Quite honestly, I am a goal-oriented guy. There are some good things about that, but the bad thing is that if I set a goal like "dive a rebreather," I have a bad habit of treating everything else as a training step towards my goal instead of as an enjoyable acitivity in its own right.

So, I am not thinking bout what may or may not come "after" recreational diving. Instead, I'm going to try to suck a little less as a diver and soak up as much knowledge as I can along the way.

Speaking of which, thanks very much to everyone for great feedback and suggestions.

Reg Braithwaite you did get some mileage out of this thread!

Here are some pics from the NAUI Helitrox Class.

Picasa Web Albums - SFL - HelitroxDec2008

I sure learned plenty about diving Trimix and the best news is we are not required to use a particular mix with the NAUI certification. Our current limits are 130' max depth and dives within No-Deco Limits. I am not sure how much of this stuff I'll be doing in the ocean but will definitely bring some for our next dives at the Caves "Little River Springs".

This is a pretty good thread.

I am currently in the middle of a NAUI Recreational Trimix Class out of Miami (Instructor's site Home Of The Runawaylobster). We completed the classroom over 3 nights and we are getting ready for diving at the end of the month. I have really enjoyed the class and learning/discussing in person. Our group of 6 is made up of a couple of cave divers/tech divers and recreational divers. That variety of folks sure has pushed the limits of "Recreational" and our instructor has been great at answering questions but at the same time reminding us that is covered in future levels.

I am bottom time junkie so deeper diving is not on my radar at the moment. I had stayed away from trimix previously because of the deep diving requirements. I am glad to see a couple of agencies doing recreational trimix because it certainly fits the diving depths that I plan on visiting. I'll let you know after the dives if it was worth it. The classroom sessions were pretty solid at expanding what I read in the book and helping to plan our upcoming dives.

My local shop charges $35 for a single 80 of 21/35 - Double for doubles. I am sure it will go up for bigger tanks that I'll be using for cave. My diving planning for the next couple of months will probably adjust based on this significant expense. Needless to say for this type of diving my buddy list just got very short since I'll want to maximize the diving :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom